PDA

View Full Version : Exception code: 0xc0000005 error

kaffien
June 15th, 2009, 08:04
This happens at random it seems usually within 1 hour of hosting a game.
This happens on version 2.3.6 and 2.4.x.

I'm using windows 7 / windows vista 64 bit. both computers had this issue.
I cannot seem to get it to run. I would sure like to be able to use this software I have a really good group put together.

I get Event ID 1000 in the application log with the following

Faulting application name: FantasyGrounds.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x49feacaa
Faulting module name: FantasyGrounds.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x49feacaa
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0017b36e
Faulting process id: 0x6b4
Faulting application start time: 0x01c9ed61dae19b55
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II\FantasyGrounds.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II\FantasyGrounds.exe
Report Id: 790318af-595d-11de-922d-002215ed0181

Mellock
June 16th, 2009, 12:08
https://www.updatexp.com/0xC0000005.html has a pretty good article about that error. Does that help?

Foen
June 16th, 2009, 18:18
A bug in the ruleset can also cause an application crash - is this a problem with all rulesets or only one?

kaffien
June 18th, 2009, 05:17
seems to be all of the modules 3.5 or 4.0.

I heard somewhere you can change the port fantasy grounds uses.
It's a shorcut flag, but I cannot remember the syntax.

kaffien
June 18th, 2009, 23:37
If you are having issues with 0xC0000005 errors in DEP and a particular piece of software is causing the offence, contact the vendor for a resolution...

this is why i posted here.

anyhow I will look for a different video driver, who knows maybe there is a special version that plays nice with FG2.

kaffien
June 19th, 2009, 20:25
Tested with 2.6.3, still seized up. windows were 'black' no buttons, but the icon for the curser would change the a hand when i glided the mouse over the window of the crashed fantasy grounds.

Also double checked with 3.5 rules the d20 ruleset and the new foundation ruleset.

I may have to find a 32bit system to test this on.
Is fantasy grounds supported on 64 bit systems? That's pretty much all they sell around
here these days.

Foen
June 20th, 2009, 18:40
I use x64 systems for FG and have no problems (Vista x64 Business).

Zeus
June 20th, 2009, 22:05
Tested with 2.6.3, still seized up. windows were 'black' no buttons, but the icon for the curser would change the a hand when i glided the mouse over the window of the crashed fantasy grounds.

Also double checked with 3.5 rules the d20 ruleset and the new foundation ruleset.

I may have to find a 32bit system to test this on.
Is fantasy grounds supported on 64 bit systems? That's pretty much all they sell around
here these days.

I run FG2 on Vista 64bit without any problems. I'd say from the descriptions you give its likley to be an issue with your OS build or possibly a driver issue. Have you updated or changed drivers recently? If so roll back these drivers and retest.

kaffien
June 22nd, 2009, 14:37
I have not updated my drivers recently.

However I just DID update them for kicks.
I also updated the Bios as it had better cpu support and better ram support
for my chosen speed.

Also, for kicks I cleaned the air out the computer. (air duster) not much came out but every little bit helps.

After a little inspection I believe CPU overheating to be the issue.
My phenom 9850 managed to nuke itself up to 80c.

I also grabbed a windows update called test update for win7 64 bit systems without many more details. It was like 700k.

Also graphical glitches where the screen appears to have frozen can be undone by dragging the window to the edge / top of the screen to maximize them as the buttons are no longer available. Alt-tabbing into the window doesn't seem to work on windows 7. To get it back you have to use windows drag to maximize / split screen feature mentioned above.

The program doesn't appear to crash anymore We had a good 5 hour session last night. I left it on all night to for kicks no crashing.

CPU now idles at 50 on the stock cpu cooler, 55 under load.

The graphical freezing is still really annoying, I mean it's easy to work around but is there a planned fix for this?

kaffien
August 10th, 2009, 01:33
CPU temps are at 43, room temp is at 22C (i love air conditioning).

Computer has no other issues. As soon as i upgraded to 2.4.5 the same error started happening after being open for about 5 minutes or less.

Nothing else has changed.

Last weekend i played for 7 hours successfully without interruption or crashing.

Griogre
August 10th, 2009, 05:03
If you are overclocking try it without it.

Kwestport
August 21st, 2009, 02:05
I'm suddenly getting this same exception. I've been working with the program for the past few days and really started making progress on creating my first adventure. Then I quit FGII for a moment and started it back up. I cannot enter any campaign without getting this exception and being required to quit. I did get the message that there was a db.backup.xml file present only I believe it's now called db.restore.xml. I did not install any new hardware or software. I did not reboot or even log off. I do not have a 64-bit system or overclock my laptop. I am running XP Multimedia and FGII has been running fine for me. I just quit and restarted. I tried swapping in the db.restore.xml as my db.xml but that didn't help either. Any suggestions?

Was enjoying FGII but now I'm frustrated!

Griogre
August 21st, 2009, 03:48
You could have a corrupt module or ruleset. Try deleting the CampaignRegistry.lau, extensionstate.xml and modulestate.xml. See if FG will boot. If so then try opening each module and see if it crashes FG. If so it's probably something bad in a module. After you do the modules try the extentions.

Kwestport
August 21st, 2009, 04:54
All my hard work is still intact too!

I tried opening and closing some of the modules that I had open but no more crashes.

Happy Tabletopping!