PDA

View Full Version : Newbie troubles...

Edhelras
June 11th, 2009, 22:59
I guess this is a silly question, but I haven't solved it after reading a lot of the documentation here. So please, if anybody would help me:

I have a stationary PC with a full install of FGII (Windows XP), and a laptop with a lite install of FGII (Vista). Now I tried making a campaign with the d20 ruleset, and created a character on my laptop, to enter the campaign. Her portrait appeared on the DM tabletop, and I can use the chat window and die rolls no problem. The problem is using the combat tracker:

Even though I drag the PC's portrait into the combat tracker, none of her stats or abilities appear. And, by clicking her portrait at the far end of the panel, I cannot access her character sheet (I can access it by clicking the portrait on the tabletop, though.
I thought that these stats were gonna show up automatically on the DM screen?

Some other strange issue occurred as well, that I wasn't even able to adjust the stats for the monsters, or for the PC. Like scaling the token or adjusting reach. Suddenly it was possible to adjust - without me knowing what I had done to fix it...:confused:

EugeneZ
June 11th, 2009, 23:46
Don't worry about silly questions, we all had them when we started with FG2. I have to admit it's not the most obvious piece of software out there. I still find new features occassionally and see that other members with hundreds of posts also expressing surprise occassionally.

As for your issues. Click the portrait in the combat tracker does not bring up the person's character sheet because this is their token. It happens to be their portrait probably because they do not have an actual token set (the nub on the upper right corner). You can, however, open the character sheet by clicking the grey nub on the right side of the entry. These grey nubs appear in several places and they indicate a linkable entry.

I'm not sure why the stats/abilities don't appear, sorry. They should, if you've entered them. Keep in mind the combat tracker only has limited display of this information to keep the entry from taking up space. It's more limited for PCs than for NPCs, because usually the player themselves will be managing the character from their sheet.

As for adjustments, I am not 100% sure about this (I use the 4E_JPG ruleset) but I think you need to place the token on the map first in order to be able to adjust scaling and reach.

I hope that helps.

Edhelras
June 12th, 2009, 08:05
Thanks a lot,
Actually, the problem is that this grey nub isn't there at all. I watched Jason's tutorial, and I saw that nub. But on my application, it's not there. I suspect that something is wrong with the communication between the lite version I use for the player and the full version I use for the DM - and that's the cause of the lacking stats? But how to fix it?

Edhelras
June 12th, 2009, 08:13
When I started my applications now, I selected (on my laptop) my character from the Character selection panel (I chose the one labelled Server character), and then I was connected to the DM machine. Her portrait appeared on the DM tabletop, and I am able to view her character sheet by clicking on the portrait.
But as I said, even though I'm able to bring her into the Combat tracker, her stats don't show, and that grey nub is missing. All the goblins I have dragged into the Combat tracker has this grey nub and they have their stats and everything.
When I selected my character (back on the laptop with the player application), I got this error message:
"Could not complete file transfer of file portrait_id00002_token (HTTP/1.1 404 NOT FOUND). Check your network configuration."

Is this a clue to what's wrong? Some firewall issue or anything like that? BTW I use only standard Windows equipment (XP for the stationary, Vista for the laptop) and Norton antivirus. Don't know a thing about how to modify a firewall.... :(

Edhelras
June 12th, 2009, 08:35
To follow up: Now I made a new char. This time, in fact that grey nub shows when I drag him into the Combat tracker. AND his armor bonuses and Saves now appear in the Combat tracker stats. But still, the HP, attack options and Initiative don't appear. Moreover, they don't even appear when I open his character sheet (either by clicking the grey nub or by clicking the portrait of him on the DM tabletop).
I also got that same error message. Seems to me there is some problem with loading information from the player client to the DM application?

Edhelras
June 12th, 2009, 08:41
Err... well, this time it worked better. Now the entry in the Combat tracker shows the HP, the armor bonuses, the saves. But still all the fields under the "sword" icon in the combat tracker are either wrong or missing - his initiative shows as 0 even though he has Improved initiative. And the Dwarven waraxe I equipped him with on the character seheet is missing, as is his speed.
Any suggestions?

Leonal
June 12th, 2009, 09:30
Initiative doesn't show until you've actually rolled it. Weapons only come automatically from NPCs, not PCs (you don't really need them there anyway.) The speed also only transfer over from the NPC sheets I think.

I'm not sure which d20 ruleset you are using, but I would suggest using the d20_JPG if you're not already, as it is much better imo.
You can find it here. https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/community/groups/viewdiscussion/615-d20_JPG+v304+(Release+version)?groupid=62

Irkenfirk
June 27th, 2009, 00:57
Hey Edhelras.

I'm having the same issue that you had. I'm running the 3.5 ruleset, version 2.4.3. Have you found a resolution to your issues with the combat tracker not filling in the stats? If so, let me know please.

Also, if I take Leonal's suggestion and switch the ruleset JPG, will I need to change my entire campaign, or is it just an image thing? (Not too computer savvy)

Thanks,
Irkenfirk

Bidmaron
June 27th, 2009, 04:53
If you are switching from 3.5 to d20_jpg, your campaign should work just fine.