PDA

View Full Version : Module Loading Time Question

mr_h
June 6th, 2009, 21:07
I have connected to a remote server and am attempting to download a module. It's shown as available, when I drag open the book, it goes open, then snaps shut on me. Underneath a little pale gold hour glass icon appears. I'm assuming this means that the module is loading.
However, this has been going on for some 30 minutes now. I KNOW the module's about 1 meg in size, so this seems like it's taking an extra long time.

Any suggestions out there folks? I've shared modules with other people before, but this is the first time I'm actually downloading one, and it doesnt seem to like me:)

Tenian
June 6th, 2009, 21:25
I believe client modules do that, even if you don't have them on your machine. I suspect that is the problem.

Griogre
June 6th, 2009, 21:43
In addition to what Tenian said, there are several other possible things that might be happening here.

1) It really is a common module but the host checked it (OKed it only) instead of Force Loaded it. Thus the module will never load on the clients.

2) It's a client module and has a similar or the same name as one you have - but the modules are not perfectly *identical.* Thus as far as FG is concerned you don't really have that module which is why it won't stay open. In this case you can go to your library and try to open your version of the module. This will send a message to the host's chat window that someone is trying to open, such and such a module. The host then needs to go to his library activation window and OK your version of the module.

mr_h
June 6th, 2009, 21:51
Ah, so if I'm understanding it right: The DM has to set it up so that the modules are Force Loaded, then it'll work correctly (or let me 'download' it from them).

This player thing is more complicated then I Thought ;)

Griogre
June 6th, 2009, 22:15
Force loading only works if it is a common module or if you have the identical version of a client module.

If it's a client module that's a different version from the one you have it will never open. Players are allowed to request the Host OK client module for thier use, though. However if the host does nothing or disallows it - the client can't open the module. In that case the client can only open the module if the host goes into the module activation on the server and allows it. Unfortunately this isn't remembered, so the client has to request every session and the Host has to OK it every session.

mr_h
June 6th, 2009, 22:20
Okay, so my GM has to go in and 'Ok' the module, then he has to open it (move the book to the open position), THEN we can see it?

Or am I totally on the wrong track? I just need to tell the GM what to do. It's been a long day:)

PS I checked the module that I sent to my GM, and it shows a client.xml). I guess I just need to know how to set it so he 'okays' the client module? (unless of course he went in and modified it).

mr_h
June 6th, 2009, 22:45
okay, I did some tests locally, and I think I know what's going on. I'm guessing that the GM didn't put the OK in the checkbox. I'll talk to him later and see if I can't get that fixed.

Griogre
June 6th, 2009, 22:46
Okay, so my GM has to go in and 'Ok' the module, then he has to open it (move the book to the open position), THEN we can see it?
In the case of him OKing a module you have and he doesn't it *isn't* possible for him to open it since he doesn't *have* the module. :p He needs to drop the green check on it. In the module activation window.

Or am I totally on the wrong track? I just need to tell the GM what to do. It's been a long day:)

PS I checked the module that I sent to my GM, and it shows a client.xml). I guess I just need to know how to set it so he 'okays' the client module? (unless of course he went in and modified it).
If you send him a client module have him drop it in his modules folder in data apps and then Start FG (FG only looks for modules on startup). Have him go to the module activation pop up and drag a green check octogon on the module. It doesn't matter whether the Host opens the book up or not, you just want him to OK the module for use by clients.

mr_h
June 6th, 2009, 22:48
gotcha, I figured that out just one minute before you posted ;)

Thanks for the help