PDA

View Full Version : Setup before 1st game

TFWoods3
June 6th, 2009, 18:20
So hopefully I will host my first game tomorrow. I think I have my connection problems fixed (port forwarding on my router). I have my first few encounters ready, have several image props, and even made some tokens.

One thing I want to make sure before i have my friends try to connect: Do they need to download and install the 4E_JPG (what I am using) also before connecting? If they don't have it, will it crash or not work? I asked one to download and install it already but wondering if it's not necessary.

Mellock
June 6th, 2009, 18:22
They don't have to download it in advance. When they connect to you, they will download it from you. Be aware that this can take half an hour.

TFWoods3
June 6th, 2009, 18:25
Awesome, thanks. That will remove one headache. I spent a good 10 minutes on the phone trying to explain to my non PC savvy friend how to unzip the file and what directory to put it in.

mr_h
June 6th, 2009, 18:56
I'd recommend bringing up your server a few hours in advance (or even tonight), then tell your friends to connect, just to download the ruleset. It always saves a bunch of time.

Plus if they have issues connecting, you're not doing it at the last moment:)

TFWoods3
June 6th, 2009, 19:15
Yeah that would be best, unfortunately it will probably be a last minute thing since they will not be available till tomorrow. Our first session may end up being just getting everything up and running correctly.

Griogre
June 6th, 2009, 20:45
Depending on how many connect and bandwidth differances it may take about 10-15 minutes to download the ruleset if everyone is doing it at once, so even if you can get a couple of guys to log in early it will speed up the download process for the rest.

If this is the first run for all those guys I would suggest you take it easy and get everyone connected, walk them through an intro of FG paying particular attention to making hot keys and hitting the high points of the 4E ruleset. Then get the characters input, and just run an intro or sample combat for them.

Relax and take it easy the first time, don't try to do too much.

TFWoods3
June 7th, 2009, 03:52
I did get them to send me their characters ahead of time so that I could enter them all and setup their powers correctly. So once connected, I will do a quick intro to the features and we should be able to start.

Thanks guys, I think this is going to be fun. My friends and I have not been able to play in YEARS due to being so far apart.