PDA

View Full Version : The Saga of Unfortunate Networking

RudyHuxtable
June 3rd, 2009, 18:51
Hey guys,

I'm actually writing on behalf of my GM, and we're all super bummed at the moment because we've spent a fortune on licenses and it appears we're not going to be able to use them as we had intended.

So he's using a Mac, but with VM tools/ware/whatchamacallit, he's been able to run FG and tool around with it without much trouble. The problems begin when we try to connect to him.

Now, I have the GM version, too, as does one of my other friends, and we have, with creative networking and port forward, successfully connected to one another. But even with port forwarding, we are not able to connect to the GM.

We've tried Hamachi but the latest version seems broken. I can't even get the "create network" function to work. So we tried Remobo instead. It's worked great for all of us... except the GM. It'll show him online, then he appears offline to all of us, but he swears he's still online.

I am by no means a technical wizard so I don't know what to do or who to contact, and yes I've read all of the other forum posts about port forwarding. They were incredibly helpful and worked like a charm for all of us... except the GM.

(sigh) Can anyone else think of any other creative ways to get this networking issue resolved? I'll try to provide as much info as I can should it be needed.

Are there any plans for Fantasy Grounds to incorporate a server client of some kind at some point? OpenRPG seems to have one, although i could be wrong.

EugeneZ
June 3rd, 2009, 19:36
I highly doubt there are any server plans for FG. OpenRPG does have one, yes, but that's why I don't use OpenRPG... it's just too slow (well that's one of the reasons).

Your GM is the only one using a Mac? And he's the only one having problems connecting. My recommendation would be to use boot camp to dual boot and just run FG on the platform it was intended for (BTW, SmiteWorks has announced that a Mac version that can connect to Win clients is in the works).

RudyHuxtable
June 3rd, 2009, 19:41
Yea I actually kind of feel bad now, because we were going to use openRPG and we all were connected to it just fine, but the interface, features and support for FG are better, obviously. I just wish OpenRPG hadn't been free before suggesting plucking down the money for FG hehe

A Mac version would be terrific, so I hope that's something that will come out sooner as opposed to later. I'll search for news on the topic.

But if there's any kinds of workarounds or creative ideas for networking available I'd still love to hear them.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Griogre
June 3rd, 2009, 19:49
Probably your GM hasn't configured his router and firewalls correctly. In addition to the normal issues, he probably has to open the ports and port forward things *without* the VMware, then do it again *with* the VMware.

In other words while in VMmode is Mac firewall might stop FG but he can't tell because he's in VMmode. If his VMware is running in a sandbox he might also be unable to breach the sandbox. The type of VMware he is running matters. I haven't messed with Macs in more than a decade so I can't make any recommendations, however if he can't connect to a server as a player - and everyone else can connect - until he can connect to someone as a client he has *no* chance of hosting.

There are some success stories with Macs but mostly from what I remember with Intel processors and running a one or two specific types of VMware. If he doesn't have either I don't think he's going to get it to work.

Frankly, the cheapest and easiest option may be to just get an old PC capable of running FG for him - other than the directX video card requirement the specs are pretty low so if someone has an old PC floating around that can run FG you might just give it to him for running FG.

Smiteworks has not shown any interest in a server client and it probably makes no financial sense for them. I personally hope they don't, because while I like Smiteworks, if they go bankrupt tomorrow I want to be able to keep running FG like I can now.

RudyHuxtable
June 3rd, 2009, 20:08
You know, i think that may be the one thing he hasn't tried. Forwarding in both Mac mode and PC mode, basically is what I think you're saying?

He has definitely been able to connect to me as a player, so he can dial out, but we can't dial in. I'm actually going to forward your reply to him and see if this is something he's tried or not. If it's that simple, I'm going to have no choice but to punch his face hehe

I understand the no-server policy, and yea I agree. I think I'm just burnt out from trying for days to get his networking to work and I want someone to kind of just go over to his apt and wave a magic wand and make it all better...

...and give me 20,000 bonus xp for being patient with his network.

Zeus
June 3rd, 2009, 22:24
You might also want to ask the GM whether he has set up his virtual machine to use bridged networking or whether its set up behind a NATed address.

If its in a NATed configuration it may cause port issues as effectivey the VM will be behind two NATed firewalls. The first in his router and the 2nd in VMware. This would explain why he can be seen online but can't be connected to.

If it is NATed he should be able to easily change the network type so that the VM effectively takes on the same IP as the mac its hosted on (bridged networking). Once configured and assuming the correct port is open and forwarded on his router you should then be able to connect.

grider
June 4th, 2009, 16:04
You might also want to ask the GM whether he has set up his virtual machine to use bridged networking or whether its set up behind a NATed address.

If its in a NATed configuration it may cause port issues as effectivey the VM will be behind two NATed firewalls. The first in his router and the 2nd in VMware. This would explain why he can be seen online but can't be connected to.

If it is NATed he should be able to easily change the network type so that the VM effectively takes on the same IP as the mac its hosted on (bridged networking). Once configured and assuming the correct port is open and forwarded on his router you should then be able to connect.

QFE.

This is most likely the problem. I have used VMs in many different applications. Most of the time, the issue above is the problem.

RudyHuxtable
June 4th, 2009, 17:09
Thanks for all the replies! I guess the next question I have is does anyone know a good site or resource for finding out how to address VM problems? Besides the obvious homepage for VM tools?