PDA

View Full Version : Client Disconnection

feldrol
June 2nd, 2009, 21:15
Hi, I have been playing for a while. I host the game on my computer (desktop with winxp up to date). When I play with 2 to 3 players I have no particular issue, but when I play with 5 players I regularly have player disconnections. I barely can have them for a pair of minutes before one disconnect.

I redirect port 1802 to my desktop. If I bypass my router to have a direct connection between desktop and modem, the issue persists.

Is there a way with the console or a log to check why the players keep being disconnected ?

My DSL connection is 6Mb/300kb, so I suppose that should be enough.

We play using skype and I have a player host the skype conversation.

Any insight is welcome. It is so frustrating to have the whole group of 5 players available and spend hours fighting with connections issues.

Griogre
June 3rd, 2009, 05:04
Do some of them disconnect when you use a token for the first time? There is a problem where if a token is attached to a module, library or adventure, and the token of a NPC in the tracker is placed on a map the first time the clients have the map shared with them or the monster with the new token is selected in the combat tracker some clients will crash out (which ever comes first). Note: this only happens if it's the first time for that client and typically not all the clients crash just a few. If you have irregular attendance some clients may have seen the token already and some may not have so you might get what seems to an almost continuous stream of crashes.

You can see if this is a problem by attaching a token you know has not been used before to a monster in a module and then exporting and loading the monster into the combat tracker and placing the token linked to the tracker on the map. Share the map and see if you get some crashes.

Tenian
June 3rd, 2009, 11:34
You can also make a new image and just put all the tokens from the module on it (and a few extras) in a giant pile and share that with the Players.

Some will crash, let them get back in and have the image up for a few minutes and then close it. That should take care of any token related crashes all at once.

feldrol
June 3rd, 2009, 17:12
I always have the same players. Some of the crashes happened when I shared a map with tokens that might be new (I am not completely sure).

Yet after they reconnected, the problem remained and they kept being disconnected.

Is there a log that could help identify the problem ?

Tenian
June 3rd, 2009, 17:56
Are they being disconnected (they get a message about losing connection) or are they crashing (FGII throws a hard error that usually has the "Send an Error Report" button)?

If they crash as soon as you make tokens visible to them, it's probably a module/token issue. In such a case they should reconnect and leave the combat tracker closed. Reshare the map. When they have the map and all the tokens they should then be able to reopen the CT without a crash.

feldrol
June 5th, 2009, 20:53
I checked with my players. They get the disconnection message.

Griogre
June 5th, 2009, 22:59
You can also make a new image and just put all the tokens from the module on it (and a few extras) in a giant pile and share that with the Players.

Some will crash, let them get back in and have the image up for a few minutes and then close it. That should take care of any token related crashes all at once.
Actually I tried this and found it didn't work. Apparently, it's crucial that the tokens placed on the map be linked to the tracker or perhapse just be in the tracker when it's cycled. You can put all the module's tokens in one encounter, load the encounter and then place the tokens linked to the tracker on the map - but that was so much a pain I just quite placing tokens in modules.