PDA

View Full Version : The One-Roll Engine (O.R.E.)

ZenStorm
June 1st, 2009, 04:32
I'm new to Fantasy Grounds. It looks awesome, though I do have some questions about supported rules.

Are there any plans to release a rules-set for ORE, as in Godlike, Wild Talents and Reign?

If no, is it possible to run Fantasy Grounds straight up and just tell it to roll and show you the numbers, or do you need a specific rules-set in order for a game to be playable?

Thanks, in advance. (And please forgive my ignorance. As I've said, I'm very new here.)

Griogre
June 1st, 2009, 21:39
I'm not familar with ORE so I can't speculate on how likely someone will make a ruleset for it. However, if it is simple then probably you could use the Generic Ruleset for it.

As far as just using FG as a dice roller and battle map with tokens that is quite possible. If you haven't already done so download the demo and try it. The demo does use the d20 ruleset but even still you will be able to roll dice, use the battlemap and make hot keys. You are never forced to actually use the character sheets or personalities.

ZenStorm
June 2nd, 2009, 01:49
In your opinion, using the generic rules-set of the full, paid-for package, how well will it handle a system wherein you roll dice-pools of d10s?

Foen
June 2nd, 2009, 06:06
For dice pools, you might want to try using the nWoD ruleset, freely available from the FG-Wiki. It uses d10s with success on 8+.

Foen

Griogre
June 2nd, 2009, 07:37
What the generic ruleset gives you is a character sheet that is basically text fields where you can type in whatever you need for the game. There’s no automation but maximum flexablity.

On the dice pools it would in the worst case be no worse than picking up a handful of d10's in a face to face game tossing them and doing whatever calculations you needed to do. You might try this in the demo. The fast way to throw a low number of arbitrary d10’s (or any other die) is to pick up a die on the mouse cursor by clicking on it and holding down the left mouse button – then while still holding the left mouse down, right click for each addition die you want. When you have the number of dice you need just throw them in FG’s chat window.

As Foen mentioned, depending on how the pools work - successes, exploding or what not - you might be able to easily lift a script from another ruleset like the WoD or Ars Magica to do some automatic calculations with the dice.

Spyke
June 2nd, 2009, 18:05
The fast way to throw a low number of arbitrary d10’s (or any other die) is to pick up a die on the mouse cursor by clicking on it and holding down the left mouse button – then while still holding the left mouse down, right click for each addition die you want. When you have the number of dice you need just throw them in FG’s chat window.And once you have them in hand you could also drop them onto the toolbar to be able to roll that many next time from a hotkey.

Spyke

VenomousFiligree
June 16th, 2009, 07:11
ZenStorm, as both Spyke and Griogre have said, it's just as you would do it at the table.

I'm planning on running a Project Nemesis adventure if there's interest and as there's no ruleset to use, I'll just use the Any System Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10125&highlight=foundation+sheet), as I've had problems with the generic ruleset.