PDA

View Full Version : Players and Notes

TFWoods3
May 31st, 2009, 13:44
I'm still learning all the nice features of FG. Is there any way for a player to easily copy the notes I send them (either from the Note or Story area) into their own notes? Just a simple "Copy Note to my notes" Command would be nice. Any tricks you guys know that can help?

Thanks

Tom

Griogre
June 1st, 2009, 20:48
Generally speaking, no. But this is ruleset dependent. They should be able to copy any text they can highlight in white by highlighting the text and then Ctrl C and then pasting with Ctrl V. You can't do this on things in the chat window. Players can sometimes do it from fields in the item popups and from other player's notes.

It it is important to you play around with the items popup, but it really depends on what ruleset you are using.

TFWoods3
June 2nd, 2009, 03:39
I am using the 4E_JPG, which I love overall.

Was this an intentional thing to keep players from ignoring notes? Forcing them to type it out or write it down in their own notes?

I thought it would be nice to be able to send a note to a specific player for them to save in their notes, say some specific features they catch with a perception roll, or information they learn that I don't want them to forget as soon as I close the window.

Griogre
June 2nd, 2009, 07:14
I don't think it was intentional specifically. It's just the result of existing things being reused that didn't allow copy and paste. Copy and paste was introduced with FG2 but most people building rulesets re-use the building blocks created for the d20 ruleset - which was originally developed for FG1 and while it was upgraded for FG2 most text fields weren't changed to allow copy and paste. Thus I think it's more a legacy thing than a specific design decision.

For the 4E ruleset I would suggest you do use items to do this then. Just create a new Item and type whatever you want into the "Notes" section at the bottom of the front page. Players can copy and paste the info into their own notes if they want by selecting the text with the mouse and then Control C and Control V to paste. However, since you can drop items into a PC's inventory in the 4E ruleset you could just drop the "Note Item" into Inventory for the player and he wouldn't have to copy and paste it into anything.

TFWoods3
June 2nd, 2009, 15:31
Ah, good idea! Thanks for the help.

TFWoods3
June 3rd, 2009, 03:33
Hmm, I tried out the item thing but it's not as good as I would like (and i don't think they can select the text). I think at first I will just use their character sheet notes section for temporary notes I would like them to remember.

Griogre
June 3rd, 2009, 04:43
I was able to select text and copy it in a client connected to the server when I tried it. You have to drag and hold the text so it stays "white" then go Cntrl c. Then just open a note in the client and paste by using Ctrl v.

Try starting FG as a server and then start a second instance with a different Login name and connect to the server and play around with it. If you are trying to give just info to one player I think just dropping the Item Note into inventory will work fine. Make sure you use the note part on the main tab and don't click identified.

TFWoods3
June 6th, 2009, 18:14
Thanks for the help Griogre.

Griogre
June 6th, 2009, 20:38
You're welcome. :)

Alyais
June 7th, 2009, 23:18
Generally speaking, no. But this is ruleset dependent. They should be able to copy any text they can highlight in white by highlighting the text and then Ctrl C and then pasting with Ctrl V. You can't do this on things in the chat window. Players can sometimes do it from fields in the item popups and from other player's notes.

It it is important to you play around with the items popup, but it really depends on what ruleset you are using.

One of my players told me that if you highlight the text and hold down the mouse to "keep" it highlighted you can hit cntrl+x or cntrl+c to copy/cut it. This was news to me.