PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions

Kirayon
May 29th, 2009, 22:02
I've used FG over at a friends house before and loved it, however I just have a few questions before I decide if I want to bother getting it or not.

The most important is how easy is it to find a game? I mean just something basic 5 people playing 3.5 rules at least once a week, nothing extraordinarily specific.

The second is if I want to one day DM do I have to buy the full version straight up?

Lastly, and this one is a bit of a stretch, If I buy a full version and 4 lites can we switch the full version around somehow if I want a break from DMing?

Griogre
May 29th, 2009, 23:45
I've used FG over at a friends house before and loved it, however I just have a few questions before I decide if I want to bother getting it or not.

The most important is how easy is it to find a game? I mean just something basic 5 people playing 3.5 rules at least once a week, nothing extraordinarily specific.
The easy answer is check the Guild Hall (this board). Go back a month or so and see what type of games were offered, how many and whether there were any you would have liked to join. Games do go in cycles but you should get an idea from past history. 3.5 games are fading a bit as 4E games take over but there are still a fair amount of 3.5 games - but go back and see.

The second is if I want to one day DM do I have to buy the full version straight up?
You should get the full version if you ever think you will game master you will save a bit of money that way. Usually there is no update from the lite to full version and you need the full version to run a game though in the past Smiteworks did run allow lites to update to full. Even if they allow that again it would still be cheaper to just buy the full version instead of first buying the lite and paying for the upgrade - and there is no indication that Smiteworks is going to allow any upgrading again anytime soon.

Lastly, and this one is a bit of a stretch, If I buy a full version and 4 lites can we switch the full version around somehow if I want a break from DMing?
The FG license agreement says you agree to not swap versions around. You might want to check the FAQ.

Kirayon
May 29th, 2009, 23:50
Thanks very much for the info. I have the 4e books and have run a game or two with my friends, but it just feels a bit... bland? I don't know if that's the right word for it, however, that may also be due to my sub par knowledge of 4e and the fact that I didn't have a great attitude dm'ing it since I was dissapointed with Wizards for scraping the game table and dungeon builder.

However, I was very impressed with FG and will probably get my license today.