PDA

View Full Version : force load of rulesets, combat tracker issues

Russelbog
May 14th, 2009, 00:52
Hello. I'm brand new to the site and game, and would love assistance with a few technical issues i'm having. I have successfully logged on to my DM's server. He had it set up to forceload the 4e jpg module (not sure if i'm saying that correctly). When we tried to imput info into the char sheet last night, he was able to access the ruleset, but I was not. His drop/drag abilities also were not working, even though he saw all of the info in his library. When we attempted a combat scenario, I could see is kobold tokens on his map, but not in the combat tracker. Thanks fo any help you can give.

Cheers!

Moon Wizard
May 14th, 2009, 02:02
Let me take a stab at answering your questions:

1)
There is a difference between a ruleset and a module. The ruleset is what defines how the windows on the screen look and behave, as well as how your mouse actions are interpreted. The modules are purely for data.

For each module, the ruleset required to use the module is specified when it is created. This allows you to only see modules relevant to the ruleset you are using.

Also, for each module, you can specify whether it is a host-only vs. a client module. This is independent of the force load setting. Someone more versed in module creation can fill in more detail on how to specify the type of module.

2)
On the combat tracker, only the GM will be able to see all the creatures by default. Players will only be able to see PCs by default. There is an eye icon near each NPC name that can be clicked to toggle whether that combat tracker entry is visible to players or not. This allows the GM more flexibility for stealthy encounters or to preload the encounters.

Cheers,
JPG

Russelbog
May 14th, 2009, 20:57
thanks a ton. The combat tracker question is cleared up. however, i still cannot get access to the 4e ruleset when i click on the module icon. the see the cover art, but i dont have the book icon (above the green hexagon). Someone mentioned on the boards about changing the file from .zip to .mod? am i on the right track? Thanks you for your help!

Phystus
May 14th, 2009, 23:52
I haven't used the 4th edition ruleset, but I think navigation is similar to the 3.5 rulesets. So I have to ask, are you on the module activation screen (the little button on the upper right of the FG window) or the library (book in the lower right of the screen?) The actual content of the module is in the library, once you've activated the module (and the DM has allowed or force-loaded it from his module activation screen).

If the DM emailed a file to you then yes, it needs to be named <whatever>.mod, though it really is a .zip file. Then you'll be able to activate it in the module activation window, then read it in the library.

~P