PDA

View Full Version : Whither 2.4.0?

DNH
May 12th, 2009, 11:15
Is anyone in a position to say when version 2.4.0 will be released? I am a patient man but it has been over seven weeks now since the test version was put out there, with lots of "we will be releasing after the weekend"-type posts peppered about during that time.

I realise the beta testing approach is new and that it throws up all manner of issues - that's kind of the point - but I get the impression that the devs want to fix everything they find in beta testing before they release. That is surely an unattainable goal, something akin to Zeno's paradox about Achilles and the tortoise.

I will be resuming DMing duties in a couple of weeks' time and was really hoping to have FG 2.4.0 and 4e_JPG 1.5.0 by then.

Anyone?

zabulus
May 12th, 2009, 17:53
I would hope that they'd at least fix all major bugs that betatesting turns up, no matter how long that takes.

Phystus
May 12th, 2009, 23:07
I think one of the bugs they're working on rendered Moon Wizard's rulesets unusable. So I, for one, am downright glad it isn't released yet!

I've also noticed enough 'when are they gonna fix issue X' threads over time to make me think they are prioritizing their fixes. But breaking the only D&D 4.0 ruleset around (as well as the best 3.5 ruleset) should be pretty high on the fix list, I'd think.

~P

Tenian
May 13th, 2009, 02:39
Actually that's a RC3 bug...it broke pretty much every ruleset...including the foundation and d20 :)

RC4 fixed it and doesn't appear to have any new issues.

Dupre
May 13th, 2009, 10:58
Some major graphics engine refactoring is taking place in the background, which is affecting the release schedule a bit. Hang in there ;)

unerwünscht
May 13th, 2009, 12:03
Ohhh.... can you tell us more? I like the sounds of "Major Graphics Engine Refactoring". That makes its sound like there might also be some new graphics oriented features on the way..

/me crosses fingers in hopes of variable token rotation, and map tile layers.

mr_h
May 13th, 2009, 13:50
Some major graphics engine refactoring is taking place in the background, which is affecting the release schedule a bit. Hang in there ;)

Graphics Engine Refactoring?

I'm not a coder or anything, but could that be in any way possible something to make it more friendly to other OS's?
(could double his gaming group if FG worked on Linux)

Griogre
May 13th, 2009, 22:17
Possibly, but it could just be making the code more efficient under more recent video cards or DirectX. This might also lead to other features like the reskinning of dice, the fixing of the dice showing a different value from rolled, the adding of die rollings sounds synced to bouncing of dice, changes to "mood" lighting, ect. Like, unerwünscht, I believe it'll lead to good things in the future, near of far, to be determined. :)

DNH
May 14th, 2009, 09:44
Fixing that double-dice issue, maybe.

EugeneZ
May 15th, 2009, 04:28
Fixing that double-dice issue, maybe.
Gah, I wish! How I wish!

DNH
June 8th, 2009, 09:56
Anyone care to throw some light on the release of 2.4.0? The test version was made available eleven weeks ago today! Last we heard was a line about "major graphics engine refactoring" but even that was nearly four weeks ago. And nothing since.

How about an interim release? Release the 2.4.0 version, with all the issues it addresses, and continue work on a 2.4.1 (or 2.5.0) release for the graphics engine. I am sure most of the community would prefer several releases over the short term to a single all-in-one release that they have to wait months for.

Oberoten
June 8th, 2009, 10:13
Try the test-version of the 2.4 there is a tool here on the forums posted by the Devs here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9966 that lets you run the trial verstion of 2.4 which pretty much does all you asked for.

- Obe