PDA

View Full Version : Making Tokens larger that Med size creatures...

Cosmo
April 30th, 2009, 22:13
Well, I have watched the vids on making tokens and it is easy doing MED size creatures such as the mini's from Wizards...

My question is this: If I am working with a gaint creature or huge dragon..
When I rescale the image in Paint.Net or whatever program you are using, do I need to use another HEIGHT Scale besides 100??

Griogre
May 1st, 2009, 00:03
First, so you know, most art programs do not do interpolation well. That's where they have to add pixels instead of subtract them. Generally, you should try very hard to avoid to having to scale tokens up because it normally does not look good.

If you are scaling up, however it does work the same way as scaling down. Just pick the biggest axis and scale it to the size you want the token to be. IE you have a 55x90 pic that is suppose to be a large creature. You are using 50x50 as medium sized creatures so a large creature is 100x100. You would leave maintain aspect ration checked and change the 95 to 100 and hit OK.

In answer to your question about need. It depends on you. 4E has Large, Huge and Gargantuan creatures. 3.5 has more. Do you really have to show larger than medium sized creatures at their proper scale? Not really the game won't collapse, however I would say most people would expect that. Part of picking what size your medium creatures are is also being aware of what size you are making the larger creatures. In my opinion if you monsters of any size is taking up more than a small percentage of your map size wise, your mediums are too large.

Edit: I really screwed up the inital numbers in the examples. Fixed! :p

Cosmo
May 2nd, 2009, 14:33
Thanks for the input!!!

I more or less wanted to have a visual indication on the MAP VIEW just how large the creature is... The map tool does a great job in highlighting the area the monster uses, but hey.. I want my cake and of course want to eat it too.. hehe

Oberton

Moon Wizard
May 2nd, 2009, 23:01
The other option is that you can scale individual tokens in the game as long as they are linked to the combat tracker. Just drag the token from the combat tracker onto the map, then run your mouse wheel on the token in the combat tracker.

Cheers,
JPG

adminwheel3
June 18th, 2009, 03:09
Good Lord Moon_Wizard! That is absurdly useful information. I was banging my head against the wall just last week dealing with different tokens done to different scales and having to scale one of them up in photoshop to make it kind of work.

I want to strain your brain into a nice siftable goo to see what other secrets you might be keeping in there.

I'll add that and the 'hold down two mouse keys to draw lines' to my list of things I learned this week.

Xorn
June 18th, 2009, 03:28
Did I not mention that in the combat tracker rundown?

Heh, I really need to revise the tutorials. I've gotten my mic fixed so I don't really have any excuses--except I'm spending most of my spare time modeling and painting tyranids (https://www.eugee.info/w40k/2of3army1.jpg).

Leonal
June 18th, 2009, 06:22
Off topic: They look insanely cool Xorn. Nice paint job there^^ My (too small) Tau army might think twice before wiping them out. ;)

Griogre
June 19th, 2009, 03:04
I'll add that and the 'hold down two mouse keys to draw lines' to my list of things I learned this week.
Did you know if you hold down Shift, Ctrl, Alt and drag with both mouse buttons down, you get other pointers than lines?

DNH
June 19th, 2009, 09:34
Me, I use TokenTool from RPTools.net, always have. There is a drop-down selector for different token sizes. The default setting is 128x128 which is mid-range and which I use for Medium creatures. I use the next one up (160x160, I think) for Large, and the next one down (96x96?) for Small. There are others for Gigantic, Huge and Tiny too. Makes life a heap easier but I will admit the tokens themselves do not really look that much larger when placed side-by-side. It only really becomes evident in play with the space shading thing going on.

Blue Haven
June 19th, 2009, 10:43
Did I not mention that in the combat tracker rundown?

Heh, I really need to revise the tutorials. I've gotten my mic fixed so I don't really have any excuses--except I'm spending most of my spare time modeling and painting tyranids (https://www.eugee.info/w40k/2of3army1.jpg).

Great job :) i´m a painter myself and i must say that you did a great highlight with those lovely tyranids :D what did you used in the bases?? just normal sand? or is that flock of same kind??