PDA

View Full Version : Lite FG & External HD

Matt12
April 30th, 2009, 18:15
First, I'm new to FG and haven't made my purchase yet. Still in the learning proccess and have some questions.

Here's what I'm thinking about -
I'm looking at purchasing the Full License & the 2x Lite Bundles. Now my question is, would there be any problem if I put the Full version on my, at home PC, and one of the Lite versions on a external, USB HD that I could then move around and use on other PCs?

I'm assuming this is doable but want confirmation.

Other Lite Bundle will go on a different PC.

Griogre
April 30th, 2009, 19:19
Here's what I'm thinking about -
I'm looking at purchasing the Full License & the 2x Lite Bundles. Now my question is, would there be any problem if I put the Full version on my, at home PC, and one of the Lite versions on a external, USB HD that I could then move around and use on other PCs?

I'm assuming this is doable but want confirmation.

First, depending on what you are doing with moving around the Lite version - you might be violating the terms of the FG license agreement, though if it is for the same person all the time you would probably be fine.

Second, technically I believe this is possible. However, whoever is doing this is going to have to know what he is doing and may have to have administrator access to the computer(s) the HD is connected to. The main issue here is FG2 is Vista compliant and uses the hidden system application data folder for data. Thus you are going to have to do something about that by either fiddling with the OS or you are going to need a utility to get the data storage to be on the USB drive not the computer's main hard drive.

If not being able to use FG on a USB drive is a deal breaker for you then you are going to have to do you homework on this. I *think* this is possible but is going to be a hassle either from digging through Microsoft’s site or finding a utility - though some external drives do already come with things to make running apps on them possible instead of the computer’s hard drive.

Matt12
April 30th, 2009, 19:51
Thanks, for reply.

moving around the Lite version - you might be violating the terms of the FG license agreement

This would be just for me. I do a bit of traveling but have access to PCs when I do. Which made a portable, USB hard drive a cheap alternative to a Laptop.

TFWoods3
April 30th, 2009, 21:13
Can this be tested with the demo version?

Griogre
April 30th, 2009, 21:19
No I don't think so. The demo version doesn't set things up the same way so I don't think it would be a valid test - it wouldn't hurt to try but I don't think it would be conclusive because I'm pretty sure it doesn't use the data application folder.

Phystus
May 1st, 2009, 01:51
I think the installer makes registry entries as well. Seems like that would be a deal-breaker.

~P