PDA

View Full Version : Depicting death

DNH
April 30th, 2009, 15:47
How does everyone do this in FG2? What I mean is how do you actually portray a character/NPC token as dead on the map? I actually use three separate mechanisms for the death, thus:

The 4e_JPG ruleset has the token underlay change colour to black when a monster/character dies. It also changes colour more subtly when injured and bloodied. The combat tracker the players look at clearly shows an individual as Dead or Dying. I edit the token's name in the Combat Tracker, adding a "DEAD" prefix. And of course there is the time-honoured tradition of turning the token upside down. I do this too.
Thing is though, as far as my players are concerned, I might as well not bother with the first three. The cheer only goes up when I turn the token around!

Of course, a more, uhm, automated process would be nice, perhaps something like kLoOge where the colours get inverted.

Leonal
April 30th, 2009, 16:06
I do as your fourth point, but usually 90 degrees to the side. If there are alot of dead tokens I tend to delete them as trying to move the correct token in a stack can be a hassle sometimes.

mr_h
April 30th, 2009, 16:17
And of course there is the time-honoured tradition of turning the token upside down. I do this too.

If your players are smartasses, I recommend against this method (see my sig)

:D

Tenian
April 30th, 2009, 16:27
In the campaigns I have played in, NPCs are just removed when they die. Removing an NPC from the CT in 4E_JPG even deletes the token from the map automatically. PCs are usually rotated 90 degrees (the standard for prone).

There are not a lot of exposed functions when it comes to dealing with tokens, it may be possible to have two tokens defined for each NPC (an alive and a dead) and automatically switch them....but I'm not sure. the name change could definitely be automated.

I'm pretty sure the inverted color is flat out

There also exists no way to apply a "sticker" to an existing token (such as a giant red X). The developers did mention the possiblity of something like this being added.

Mellock
April 30th, 2009, 17:10
Ours are simply removed from the map.

DNH
May 1st, 2009, 10:11
In the campaigns I have played in, NPCs are just removed when they die. Removing an NPC from the CT in 4E_JPG even deletes the token from the map automatically.

We have not played 4e since updating the 4e_JPG ruleset to the latest version, so the automatic token removal has not yet occured. I do tend to remove entries from the CT, else you end up cycling through ten or eleven dead goblin minions each round.

Oberoten
May 2nd, 2009, 02:59
Ideal would be a overlay/underlay ability, letting us indicate status on the tokens directly... A little floating skull for dead, some minor graphics like a spiral for confusion etc.

- Obe

DNH
May 2nd, 2009, 10:45
Ideal would be a overlay/underlay ability, letting us indicate status on the tokens directly... A little floating skull for dead, some minor graphics like a spiral for confusion etc.

This has been mentioned before of course, but it doesn't hurt to bring it up again. ;)