PDA

View Full Version : Bought two copies - can't install/update either

dr_venture
April 30th, 2009, 00:35
I sent in an email to Support several days ago as suggested in another thread (along with my order number), and still haven't heard back from anyone. I understand that this is a small company (probably a side business) and y'all got other stuff to do. Still, I paid $60-odd bucks - it'd be nice to at least get an automated response to my email that tells me that it might be a couple days to get an answer from you guys. It's always a little aggrivating when the purchase process works without a hitch, but the help process is not smooth. Please consider the automated response - thanks.

My problem: I'm trying to install both a full version and a lite version on 2 different computers (but purchased on the same order), but neither of them will work. They both have the same problem: the initial installation goes fine, then the installer quits and tells me that teh Updated will now install the latest components... however when the Updater opens, it just says:

Getting package listing
Error!

The error follows about 2 seconds after "Getting package listing" is displayed.

I am on a satellite Internet connection if that matters - they do have a bad latency problem. I am able to surf the Net ok and downloaded the SW with no problems. I have to use a proxy (FWIW, 148.65.200.185, port 9877). This is part of my satellite service and I can't turn it off without losing my connection).

Also, I'm wondering if I'm having problems even installing, am I going to be able to host or play games over the connection?

Thanks in advance for any help

Griogre
April 30th, 2009, 02:23
You *should* be able to play though it maybe laggy for you. Are you satalite both ways or sat down and dialup up?

You are correct, Smiteworks is a small company based out of Finland - depending on where you are there could be a day/night cycle lag. If you don't hear back from them after a day I would PM Ged or Goblin King and ask if they got your e-mail.

dr_venture
April 30th, 2009, 02:43
For better and/or worse, I'm both up and down on the satellite. I'm *way* out in the sticks near Yosemite in CA, and sadly it's my best option that isn't ridiculously expensive (although I hear we're a few months away from broadband wireless... OH GOD PLEASE).

I'm hoping to GM at first while working things out. I can chat via YIM & such with no problem, and large files stream up and down ok - the problem comes when there is something with a lot of handshakes, like vpn.

Thanks for the response... sorry if I sounded grumpy. Really, I'm grateful that software like this exists! I hope I'm able to get it working for me.

joshuha
April 30th, 2009, 03:19
I have also heard about this error occurring because of firewall issues I think. It wasn't the same port as FG uses for in game (1802) but could have swore someone tracked a similar issue down to their ISP once.

dr_venture
April 30th, 2009, 03:28
I only have XP's built-in firewall running on my machine, but the satellite company does require me to use a proxy to get out over the web - I've been just assuming that this would cause me headaches using the software at some point. I'll look around to see if I can find any connection /firewall faqs on the FG site.

Oberoten
April 30th, 2009, 04:35
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Networking

Might be a good place to start.

- Obe

Griogre
April 30th, 2009, 08:28
There are some oddball installation/updater bug fixes in the the 2.4 version of FG that may be out next week that may help you too.

dr_venture
May 1st, 2009, 01:38
First off, thanks for all of the helpful responses. One of the reasons my group and I chose to start with FG is the mature user community, and you guys have already come through - thank you very much!

I tried the wiki page's description of how to configure your router, but my gateway router is actually one for Starband - my satellite Internet provider. I think I've seen a document on their site that talks about port forwarding and such semi-arcane LAN mojo. I'll chack that out, as well as try the latest release when it becomes available.

One question for yall: I installed the demo with no problems at all - does it use the same process that I'm currently crapping out on, or does it package all of the components in the installer? Just wondering if I can isolate the problem to changes between the versions or not.

Griogre
May 1st, 2009, 07:33
The demo has everything you need in the installation package. The real FG installer pretty much sets up the registry and paths and then kicks off an internet downloader to actually get the program. That's where you seem to be having a problem.

If you ISP gave you the Starband - then their tech support probably can tell you how to open ports and port forward.