PDA

View Full Version : Free 4E Test Drive

Tenian
April 29th, 2009, 15:28
For anyone interested in 4E DnD there is now a test drive available on wizards site:

https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20090428

It contains the quick start rules and the full H1 - Keep on the Shadowfell adventure (which should take your characters from level 1 to level 3 or 4)

Griogre
April 29th, 2009, 19:28
You beat me, I was going to mention this also. ;) For those of you who already have H1, this version has revised some encounters and added a few new monsters - at least compared to the hard copy version. The quick start guide as been expanded and is also been updated some compared to what was in the hard copy module that I have.

Tenian
April 30th, 2009, 02:31
Did they fix the DCs on things as well? There was a big adjustment in one of the erratas of the DMG...that and all skill challenges use a 3 failure system now

I never had a copy of H1 so I can't check :)

Griogre
April 30th, 2009, 08:25
I didn't carefully check all the DCs but I know they brought the one skill challenge they had into line with the errata. Personally, even though the errata was out when I ran H1, I used the module values - it was a 4 successes before 4 four failures so the math wasn't bad. In the PDF its now a 6 - 3 challenge. I personally think they over compensated in the errata for skill DCs myself and now they are too easy. *shrug* I like the errata DCs plus 5 for skills myself.

I did just add the 6 new monsters into my Monster Manual. I think the final BBEG fight is now looks *much* better and less swingy, though I find it interesting they didn't do anything significant to the most infamous TPK encounter at all. If anything it may be a bit tougher because the Denwardens seem likely to be a bit tougher in that fight than the Dragonshields that use to be there. :p