PDA

View Full Version : Crashing when trying to type a Story sheet.

Zen
April 29th, 2009, 02:44
Okay...

Running Windows XP
Video card is an Nvidia GeForce 7900GS
Running latest video card drivers
Running FGII v.2.3.6

Every time I try typing into a Story sheet, FGII crashes on me. I've tried creating new campaigns, I've tried reinstalling FG, and really I have no idea what else to try.

Any suggestions?

Griogre
April 29th, 2009, 02:54
What ruleset are you using?

Zen
April 29th, 2009, 03:14
What ruleset are you using?

It doesn't seem to matter. It does the same thing in the Foundation ruleset, Arcana Evolved, Shadowrun, and... erm... was there one more?

*checks*

Nope. That's it.

Zen
April 29th, 2009, 04:41
If it helps, here's the error.

https://www.bigsimon.com/pics/error.gif

Griogre
April 29th, 2009, 06:30
What's the name of the storybook entry?

What version of DirectX do you have? Assuming for XP it is 9.0c, then I would suggest you uninstall FG one more time and clear out everything about FG in the registry. If you do so make sure you have your license key written down somewhere because you will have to re-enter it.

Zen
April 29th, 2009, 06:38
There was no name of the entry - I was creating a new one.

Uninstalling and reinstalling now. We'll see where this goes.

zabulus
April 29th, 2009, 06:40
How do you try to enter text? Do you click the "click here" part and then press keys on your keyboard? Or do you select the Edit button from the radial menu? Or do you click the "click here" part and then do CTRL-V? I recall having had problems with this last option, but using the others was an ok workaround at the time.

Zen
April 29th, 2009, 06:56
Okay... completely uninstalled, pulled the folder from my Applications Data folder, cleared out every entry in the registry concerning Fantasy Grounds.

Reinstalled.

Same error.

How do you try to enter text? Do you click the "click here" part and then press keys on your keyboard? Or do you select the Edit button from the radial menu? Or do you click the "click here" part and then do CTRL-V? I recall having had problems with this last option, but using the others was an ok workaround at the time.

I bring up the Story list, and it's blank. I click the "NEW" button at the bottom. In the window that comes up, I use the radial menu to "Enter Edit Mode". After doing so, any keystroke I make that would end result in a letter being typed on the Story sheet crashes FGII.

EDIT: Well now, isn't this odd? I find if I just click in the area to type, and let it go into Edit mode automatically, I can type just fine. Well... isn't that interesting?

So... problem solved. Well, not solved. The bug is still there, but at least I have a suitable workaround.

Griogre
April 29th, 2009, 07:10
Nice catch on that bug. Please e-mail it in to [email protected] I imagine the problem is editing a nil entry. It crashed FG on my computer also.

Jingo
May 7th, 2009, 20:22
I get this same crash editing an entry that does have content in it. I use the radial menu and choose edit entry and after a while (the time varies), I get the runtime error and BOOM! ... down everything goes.

I'm using the latest FG with the Call of Cthulhu ruleset. *grumble grumble*

Hope they get this fixed SOON. :cry: