PDA

View Full Version : Are there any 3.5E modules?

CrystalBlue
April 24th, 2009, 19:31
I'm sorry to be a bitch about this, but I've searched and scoured all over the internets...and no where are there any modules for any of the builder books for 3.5E. What I'm talking about are the books like Complete Arcane, Complete Warrior, Races of the Wild, ect.

Now, maybe I'm wrong and there aren't any. But it would be infinitely helpful if there were. And it would be more so if someone could tell me where to locate them.

Thank you.

Valarian
April 24th, 2009, 19:48
These books aren't part of the SRD and therefore couldn't be legally distributed. You'd have to do the work to put the books details in to a module yourself. There are some threads on here somewhere describing the layout of a module in a little more detail, but they're basically zip files containing an XML file with the information in them. Copy one of the existing modules and rename it to be a .zip instead of .mod file. You'll then be able to open it up as a zip file and have a look.

Bidmaron
April 24th, 2009, 19:50
Some of the open source materials from those books are in the Complete SRD, a module available from Digital Adventures for $6.50 (buy from store here). I also have the Arms & Armor for 3.5 from the same company, and I highly recommend that. I don't have the Complete Minions yet, although I own the hard copy. That is my next purchase. The latter two, of course, are not WotC, but good nevertheless. Other than that, most of the WotC stuff is not open content, so , even if it existed, it could not legally be shared.

Sorry for the mixed news. The really crappy news is that with the moratorium on PDFs from WotC, if you didn't already own PDFs, you will have to hand-jam the stuff in.

Moon Wizard
April 25th, 2009, 01:03
At one point in history (several years ago), Wizards of the Coast licensed their splat book data to a company named Code Monkey Publishing. CMP produced data files for PCGen that allowed you to create and edit characters using all the v3.5 rules. However, Wizards pulled the plug on CMP's license about 2 years ago, and they died off. I remember well, since I owned copies of those PCGen files.

At this point, Wizards does not allow anyone to publish their materials whether for v3.5 or v4 D&D.

Your best bet is to scan your books, OCR the results, and copy/paste into modules or directly into FG. Definitely not a great situation for those wanting the splat book data.

The other option is just to type it in as you use it, which is what I ended up doing.

Regards,
JPG

Andugus
April 26th, 2009, 01:41
Alternatively, you might come to the same conclusion that I have. WoTC has made it too difficult for online gamers to enjoy the game; in any version. At some point you hit the wall and go to the path of least resistance. For me this turned out to be Savage Worlds. It is an elegant online solution for FG. The emphasis is upon roleplay and away from table top miniature gaming. Did I mention it does it for a whole lot less of your hard earned cash.

FGII $40
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition $9.95
If you are a GM running SW game, you'll need ruleset = $12
Total under $62 bucks.

Now compare that to D&D book costs. Then add your time for typing in data so you can enjoy time with friends online (something WoTC is diabolically opposed to).

It's a shame to have to go through so many hoops to roleplay online. Cut the fat, and get your game on with Savage Worlds.

tenkar
April 26th, 2009, 15:44
Ah, but not everyone takes a liking to SW. Personally, with the OGL who needs all the WotC splats anyway? And do you really need it all to be accessible from within FG? Didn't you have the book in hand when you played at the non-virtual table?

unerwünscht
April 26th, 2009, 16:16
How about a Generic 20 rule set?
We have been looking into making a "Generic" version of all the previous D&D fluff and splat material. Obviously, it would take some time, but would that work for you? And maybe we can make it a group project.

Bidmaron
April 26th, 2009, 16:36
Pathfinder will be out this fall. It is essentially 3.5 on steroids. Some folk are already working on a ruleset mod based on 3.5e (not me).

Illrigger
May 20th, 2009, 21:50
The Pathfinder ruleset is pretty awesome, if you haven't already grabbed it while it's free, you should do so. It's 3.5e with many of the annoying rules (grapple anyone) fixed and the core classes and races bumped up to be a bit more competitive with the ones in the later WOTC books. There are a lot of little changes that make a big difference in play.

It's a beta PDF right now, so you can copy and paste it into your own modules while you wait for the final in August. If you find you like it, grab a Pathfinder Chronicles subscription - you get a 96-page printed adventure that is 1/6th of a complete adventure path (levels 1-20) every month and a free PDF copy of the same for less than $15 a month, plus 15% off many purchases from Paizo's store. The next Adventure Path starts in August with the official release of the Pathfinder RPG hardback, so it's an ideal time to get started and get a discount on the books.

Sorry to sound like an ad for the system, but after a year of 4e, I find myself a lot more excited about Pathfinder than I do about WotC's books.