PDA

View Full Version : Question about Fantasy Grounds

ninja198x
April 22nd, 2009, 16:10
I am interested in playing on Fantasy Grounds as I used to play AD&D, D&D3E, and Deadlands back in the day, but I want to know does one have to physically posses all the rule books, say for Dungeon and Dragons 4E, in order to play a 4E game as a player?

Valarian
April 22nd, 2009, 16:24
It would help (especially getting the Player's Handbook) as you'd be otherwise limited to what your GM has placed in the library themselves in terms of rules. However, it's not strictly necessary as long as the GM is happy with teaching you the rules as you go. The default ruleset has the 3rd edition SRD text, which was free to distribute under the OGL from WotC. With 4th edition, this freedom has been greatly limited and the GSL isn't as flexible in what can be distributed. Copyright limits what can be done with other games, unless a similar license to the OGL exists giving the publisher's permission.

Griogre
April 22nd, 2009, 19:47
As time goes on in 4E there will be more and more books. As a player, you really only need the Player's Handbook for the basic rules. Could you get by without one? Sure - if you know the rules already. If you don't know the rules then you are placing a burden on the group to teach you. Some groups might not care, while others - particularly of higher level characters - are not going to want to do that.

ninja198x
April 22nd, 2009, 20:15
OK, thanks. I suppose I will buy the Player's Handbook as I am wanting to get back into tabletop RPG's and this seems to be the best way for me to go. Hopefully, I can find a group to play with that will work with my time schedule.