PDA

View Full Version : D20 Example Extract?

Debinani
April 21st, 2009, 17:45
Hey all, I just purchased FG, and I wanted to extract the D20 ruleset to use as a starter template for what I hope to be a Paranoia ruleset (though if anyone already has one, let me know!). When I run the exe though, it says that the files have been extracted, but I can't find them in either the program data folder or the app settings folder. Anyonw know of specific issues extracting the examples on a Vista x32 system?

Griogre
April 21st, 2009, 18:57
The app data folder is hidden by default. You can find it by pressing the Start Button -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder.

Debinani
April 21st, 2009, 19:05
I can find the App Data folder no problem, but there's no examples folder in there... I've got cache, campaigns, characters, etc., but no examples.

Griogre
April 21st, 2009, 19:08
However, both the d20 rulesets are both PAK rulesets and will not appear in the ruleset folder in data apps. I would suggest you start with the Generic Ruleset based on the d20 ruleset. It may be enough to play with so you don't need to do your own ruleset. https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Generic

Debinani
April 21st, 2009, 19:15
Ah, it's a PAK.
The file download link to the Generic ruleset is dead. :cry:

Griogre
April 21st, 2009, 19:19
Let me poke Obi on that. It looks like a link typo. The foundation ruleset is also a PAK one which is the one you have if you just bought FG. If you have an e-mail address that will accept a 9 Meg attachment - you can also PM me your e-mail and I'll send the generic ruleset to you.

Spyke
April 21st, 2009, 19:20
Ah, it's a PAK.The earlier release of Fantasy Grounds was distributed with a file called d20unpak.exe. See if you have that in your Fantasy Grounds folder in Program Files. This executable unpacks the d20.pak file to a d20 folder under rulesets in your application data folder.

However, I don't know whether that executable is still distributed with the latest release of FG.

Otherwise, I think all you'd need to do would be to rename the d20.pak file as d20.zip and create a d20 folder for the extracted files under rulesets. Make a copy of the folder and rename as the starting point for your own ruleset.

Alternatively, take the 3.5 extension as your example (search the forums for an explanation on how to get the unpacked files, you'll need external software to download them) and build your ruleset as an extension to Foundation.

Spyke

Griogre
April 21st, 2009, 19:26
I'm uncertain on the Unpak.exe also, unfortunately just unzipping won't work for the d20.PAK file because it is encrypted, though it will work for most pak files.

Debinani
April 21st, 2009, 19:34
As far as I can tell the unpack.exe isn't doing squat. I searched my whole system and no PAK file besides the foundation one. Now, there are some 3E extensions, but nothing strictly D20 related.
Though if I can't copy it as a starting point then I really don't care, but it's still a curiosity.

Spyke
April 21st, 2009, 20:01
As far as I can tell the unpack.exe isn't doing squat. I searched my whole system and no PAK file besides the foundation one.Ah... have you actually downloaded the d20 ruleset file from https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/? This installs the d20.pak file in your FG program directory, and then the d20unpack.exe file should work to unpack it.

Spyke

Griogre
April 21st, 2009, 20:04
The 3E extentions are the d20 stuff now floating on top of the Foundation ruleset. The oringinal d20 ruleset was licenced as a d20 Logo app (this was actually rare). WotC said they were going to revoke this license - but I don't think they have actually gotten around to it. Thus Smiteworks removed the d20 ruleset.

Instead they used the OGL to make the 3E extention for the foundation ruleset, which will never expire. Basically the infomation is the same but no longer has the d20 Logo. Unfortunately, the foundation ruleset has a major flaw in the combat tracker which makes it unuseable.

However the Beta release of FG 2.4 fixes that issue. Unfortunately problems with multiple extentions seem to be delaying the release of FG 2.4. FG 2.4 seems quite stable (other than if you have a bunch of extentions open) so you may wish to do development with it.

Whew - so now you know. :)

Spyke
April 21st, 2009, 20:36
It's definitely worth considering developing as an extension to Foundation as that way your ruleset will pick up improvements in the underlying Foundation core, as well as having the nifty new features such as combat groups from the outset.

If you start with reference to d20 or other older rulesets you will have to build any newer features in by hand.

Spyke

Debinani
April 21st, 2009, 20:59
Can the extension files be decompiled? I like the idea of creating extensions on Foundation, but it'd really help to see some examples.

Debinani
April 21st, 2009, 21:06
Ah I see, those are just ZIP files too. Interesting...

Spyke
April 21st, 2009, 21:20
See the Foundry section of the boards for discussion of the source code for Foundation and the 3.5 extension. In particular see https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9403 for notes on how to download them.

Spyke