PDA

View Full Version : Character issue

Junshi
April 19th, 2009, 16:44
Hello,

I created a character/NPC to be used in my campaign. It was created with the AE toolset. When I enter my campaign in DM mode, I cannot access the character that was created nor does it even display. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong?

Thank you,

Junshi

Spyke
April 19th, 2009, 16:57
Try starting two sessions, one as a host and the other joining that campaign as a player. The character you created should be available to the player and can then be used in the hosted campaign. This will register that character with the campaign.

(If you think about it, you wouldn't want every character you create available for every campaign, you want the specific ones written for that campaign.)

Spyke

Junshi
April 19th, 2009, 18:13
Thank you spyke. I now can use the character as a player, but when I am on the DM part I still cannot add the character or find the player (I am a newb obviously).

Spyke
April 19th, 2009, 18:28
Thank you spyke. I now can use the character as a player, but when I am on the DM part I still cannot add the character or find the player (I am a newb obviously).I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, but if you're trying to get a character created in the local mode to be converted to appear as an NPC in the NPC list then that isn't supported, at least in the standard rulesets.

As DM, you can open the player character sheets from the PC selection screen using the icon with the three silhoutted people in the top right corner. Some rulesets allow you to drag the sheets to the toolbar or combat tracker. Otherwise the workaround is to log in as a 'spare' player during the session and use the full character sheets that way. This is also the only way you can 'add' a character not controlled by a real player to the game in a way that gives it a portrait up at the top of the screen. You can also ask one of your players to open the NPC if the stats aren't sensitive, and players can run multiple characters.

Most rulesets have separate, simpler sheets for NPCs, which you create directly in the DM's campaign session.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'find the player'. If you successfully logged in with the player session to your DM host session, the character chosen by your player session on login should appear as a portrait in the top left corner of both the player's and the DM's session.

Spyke

Bidmaron
April 19th, 2009, 21:36
One thing to be careful of is after you log in as a player client, the next time you try to host, the player name will be the one you used to log in as a player client rather than the name you use to host. This will be fixed in the next release of FG2.