PDA

View Full Version : Categoryselctioncontrol

Fenloh
April 15th, 2009, 11:54
Hi there,

atm I am working on some new features for the SR4 Ruleset and I have already asked in the community, but i did not get an answer so far.

There is a control named categoryselectioncontrol. I have implemented that to the Inventory. Also the Drag and Drop works fine too.. for the GM.

If the GM opens a new category and drags Items to it, it saves it just fine and once I open the campaign again, everything is in place where it should be.

Now for the Problems.
1. The Player cannot see the categories created by the GM
2. The Player can create new categories and drag and drop Items, but it wont save it. The next time the Player enters the game, even the same game, the changes are gone.
3. The GM does not see the Changes made by the player.

Is there any Workaround, so i can make it work for everyone?

Fenloh

Tenian
April 15th, 2009, 13:00
Gee that sounds familiar. I haven't messed with the categoryselect control but I'd lay odds it is the same problem as mentioned here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9809)

As I understand it, all of your problems are related to the way database nodes are shared between the host and clients. Looking at your list, you might be able to work around issue #1 by using addHolder to allow the clients to view the host created nodes.

The bad news is #2 and #3 are much more complex to fix. As far as I know the only way to resolve these types of issues is to have the host create the database nodes. The only method I know to have the client tell the host to create a node is to use a specially constructed message and the deliverMessage(). This is known as "message pass".

I understand the concept, but I've never actually set up message pass. moon_wizard or Foen are probably your best hope for instruction along this avenue.

Fenloh
April 15th, 2009, 15:49
Well, have read that post, but i think it is a different Problem. The control itself is a control already set by the System.

This is what the DB.XML looks like after the GM has made the Changes. It works fine, but only for the GM. The player does not even see the changes, even if he relogs. This is also what it should look like if the Player makes the same changes:

<inventorylist>
<holder name="Britta" owner="true" />
<category name="Standard" mergeid="" baseicon="0" decalicon="3">
<id-00001>
<carried type="number">0</carried>
<count type="number">1</count>
<name type="string">Survival Knife</name>
<showonminisheet type="number">0</showonminisheet>
<weight type="number">0</weight>
</id-00001>
</category>
<category name="Home" mergeid="" baseicon="0" decalicon="0">
<id-00008>
<carried type="number">0</carried>
<count type="number">4</count>
<name type="string">Platicuffs</name>
<showonminisheet type="number">0</showonminisheet>
<weight type="number">0</weight>
</id-00008>
</category>
</inventorylist>

Foen
April 15th, 2009, 16:52
Hmm, although it is a built in control, you are using it in a non-standard fashion: I don't think the standard ruleset exposes the categoryselectioncontrol on the client side. Maybe you are trying to do something for which the control wasn't designed?

Sorry not to be much help.

Stuart

Fenloh
April 15th, 2009, 17:49
That is what i am thinking at the moment too, but maybe a developer can say a thing or to to that control.

According to my players it is a good and necessary feature for categorizing the inventory.

If it does not work, maybe there is a workaround.

Fenloh

Fenloh
April 22nd, 2009, 21:21
The Problem is still not solved. Some one else an Idea?

Fenloh

Moon Wizard
April 23rd, 2009, 00:02
Perhaps you should try implementing your solution without the categoryselectioncontrol?

The combat tracker in the foundation ruleset comes to mind. It has 2 views, a normal view and a grouped view. Groups can be added and removed on the fly, and entries added/removed from each group.

If the groups are implemented within the character sheet, then there shouldn't be any access issues.

Cheers,
JPG

Fenloh
April 23rd, 2009, 12:36
Hmm, that sounds like a plan. Ill look into it asap.

Fenloh

Fenloh
April 26th, 2009, 16:08
Well JPG,
the Idea was not bad, but it does not work the Way I expected it to. The Categoryselectioncontrol would be the perfect thing. Drag and Drop on the List, change the Flags yourself and so on.

So, back to the developers. Why does it not work for the Players?

If you need the code, or the Ruleset with description on where the code is, just tell me where to send it. If you tell me that it is not supposed to work anyway, I can live with it, but it would be a perfect fit if it would work.

Fenloh