PDA

View Full Version : Map help please

DM_Widow
April 14th, 2009, 00:14
First let me start by saying i know this is a reoccurring problem, so thats why i spent the last 10 hours or more searching thru every forum post before posting.

So as some of you have already guessed....other players stuck on long loading times or sometimes it never loads.

Have tried resizing and various other suggestions. So my question is..

I have no problem sending my players the maps ahead of time...problem is where do i tell them to put the maps in there folders.

Someone in a earlier post said and i quote , " have them put the maps in the campaign folder/images folder.

However no such folder exists. If someone can please be specific as to where i have them put the maps that would be great. Thanks.

Also if you have a solution that really works then i would be willing to try it but after trying all the suggestions on the forums im pretty much down to just sending it to them which is fine.

Hope to hear something soon. THanks again and great work on the program cant wait to get started using it.

DM_Widow
April 14th, 2009, 00:51
WoW i ramble on sometimes..

WHat im trying to say is...once a player is shared a map where does that map get stored at on his end. If i can find out this I can know where to tell my players to place the maps ahead of time.

Thanks.

EugeneZ
April 14th, 2009, 04:02
The place the map is stored when downloaded from the host and the place you store pre-distributed maps are not the same thing, which is part of the reason some people prefer one method over another.

1) Have you tried pre-loading your map to players a session ahead of time? The map will download while you play and be ready for next time. I recommend this first because the standard way of map sharing seems to avoid some issues with the pre-distributed method. If this works for you, I recommend sticking with it or trying to make it work.

2) If there's no alternative, make a module of your maps. It has to be a HOST module (the H column under images needs to be checked when you export. If you don't know how to export, let us know, your message wasn't very clear if you understood this part). Send your players the host module, and they must place it in the modules folder of their DATA directory.

Start > Programs > Fantasy Grounds II > Application Data Directory > Modules.

Hope that helps.

Sigurd
April 14th, 2009, 08:04
Is everybody on broadband?

Sigurd

DM_Widow
April 14th, 2009, 08:18
finally figured it out..here is how

found a campaign.dat file located in fg2/data/cache/widow

send that over to my players and BAM...they had all the maps

I worked with dat files years ago and was suspect that images or at least temp images were being stored in it...come to find out i was right.

Everything is working great except that the other players cant see the npc tokens(even the generic ones)...so back to square 1 in figuring out the next problem lol.

Oberoten
April 14th, 2009, 09:20
Generally I have found this to be a "I have too many tokens in the tokenbag" problem.

Too much data to verify and check means that FG will be slower than Molasses in Midwinter in the north of Sweden.

- Obe

Tenian
April 14th, 2009, 11:00
Loading large common modules can be a problem too. Modules seem to load before tokens (or at least get a higher transfer priority). Thus if you use big common modules it takes a bit before the tokens pop in

gmkieran
September 29th, 2009, 02:17
finally figured it out..here is how

found a campaign.dat file located in fg2/data/cache/widow

send that over to my players and BAM...they had all the maps

DM_Widow, I'm trying to re-create your success, but having none (fyi, I have never worked with .dat files). Can I assume you mean the .dat file here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\cache ?
My cache has entries for the campaigns I've participated in, but none for the campaigns I've created. Might that mean the images are also not in the .dat file? Also, did your maps retain their masking when you gave your players the .dat file, or did you have to re-mask as you went?

Thanks!
gmkieran

Griogre
October 1st, 2009, 09:31
If you are DM you don't usually have a dat file for stuff you run - because you *are* the server. To make one start a second instance of FG and log in as a player and connect to the server - you will see the ruleset tranfer and that will create a dat file for you.