PDA

View Full Version : hot key dual monitor issue

gmkieran
April 10th, 2009, 21:26
this is fairly minor, but occasionally annoying and I haven't been able to find a solution, so I thought I'd see if anyone else had. Running 2 17" monitors on Windows XP Sp3. Desktop is extended across both and no problems moving things from one to the other. I run FGII in a window, because maximizing causes it to revert to a single monitor. Here's the issue - my hot keys lose their integrity when I stretch the window across to the second monitor. This means that I occasionally get the die from a neighboring hot key when dragging from a hot key to roll. Where I click in the hot key doesn't seem to matter; even clicking directly over the desired die image sometimes brings up a neighboring die. Can I do something to prevent the hot key fields from overlapping?

Phystus
April 11th, 2009, 03:31
Have you checked out this thread?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10034

Though it isn't the same problem, it is another instance of dual-monitor weirdness. In his case the fix was simply to revert his monitor arrangement to the default (#1 on the left, #2 on the right). Might be worth looking at.

~P

gmkieran
April 13th, 2009, 19:52
thanks! that's actually the thread that led me to post. unfortunately, I've already tried that fix and it didn't affect the hot keys.

Griogre
April 14th, 2009, 03:54
I'd take a hard look at your mouse drivers. If they are not Microsoft's then roll them back to Microsoft's.

gmkieran
April 30th, 2009, 01:19
interesting thought, though I'm not clear on how a mouse or mouse driver would cause the displayed buttons to overlap. I am using the manufacturer's (not microsoft) most current drivers for Kensington trackball I prefer to use over a standard mouse. thanks for the input.

Griogre
April 30th, 2009, 02:11
The actual hot keys on the bottom of the screen are overlapping? Or you click at a hot key and get a the result from a different one? I presume if you use the Function keys everything works fine?

gmkieran
September 30th, 2009, 15:47
yes, the ends of the hotkey fields appear overlapped when FG is extended across to my second monitor. I will try to grab one to drag it to the combat tracker and get the die from an adjacent hotkey. Generally, a couple of tries will get me the correct die/attack, but it's caused more than a little confusion. I've never actually used the function keys to access these, because I only use hotkeys for attacks and I like to drop the dice on the combat tracker. I would assume they work normally.

Is there any way you know of to use the function key and have the attack land on a specific entry in the combat tracker, out of curiosity?

Zeus
September 30th, 2009, 18:02
What graphics card are you using and how much ram does it have.

I had a similar weird graphical issues when I used to run my old dual monitor setup. In the end it turned out the graphics card I was running couldn't cut the mustard when it came to certain high resolutions across both monitors. I could drop the resolution to 800x600 and had no problems, 1024x768 though caused wierd cascading screen corruption.

see the original thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10153&highlight=screen+corruption

To test the theory, drop the resolution of both screens and try again, if you get a clean display with no overlapping buttons, you know the answer.

You could also try updating the graphics driver for your card.

gmkieran
October 1st, 2009, 03:40
Radeon 9600 AGP 400MHz with 256Mb. Driver is most current available. Right now I have the resolution balanced between the 2 monitors at 1152x864. I may try dropping it the next time I pull up FG, but I don't think I want to run at 800x600 if I can avoid it; looks atrocious. Unfortunately, updating the card is not going to happen any time soon, either, but it'd be nice to know that's the problem.

Thanks for the pointer!