PDA

View Full Version : Help Getting 4E Going with FG2

kwebb12
April 8th, 2009, 05:20
Can anyone maybe link me to a few tools/downloads that are a *must* have for running a 4th Ed. D&D Game with FGII.

Quite a few friends are interested in playing some 4th Ed. online and it looked like FG2 was the best 'assistant' I could use as a DM.

kwebb12
April 8th, 2009, 05:34
I did some more extensive reading here and got 4E loaded up... now all I really need to know is if there's a Video Tut out there for using the map and putting up tokens.

All I really need in a simple grid that I can draw lines on and pop down player/creature tokens.

Griogre
April 8th, 2009, 05:57
Go to the download section, scroll all the way down and on the right you will see some Video Tutorials by Xorne.

Over at RPG Virtual Tabletop there is an old 4E_JPG ruleset tutorial not hosted at this site. It's pretty dated but you will find some of the basics. https://www.rpgvirtualtabletop.com/tutorials/tutorials.html

As far as the grid. Open the map, right click select layers -> Set grid. The mouse cursor will change to a box and star. Then just drag the mouse and you will see a green square. If you drag it open enough you will see the size of the square in pixels. You can take the grid off by doing the same thing the Set Grid toggles with Remove Grid.

kwebb12
April 8th, 2009, 08:44
Are there Items I can use along with 4E or is that something I'll just have to manually create as we play.

Griogre
April 8th, 2009, 09:17
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "Items." You can add certain data to FG ahead of time like map images, monsters, etc. You can also use FG just as a dice roller and battlemap with tokens with a book open in your lap. Generally speaking, the less you input into FG the more you should probably use VoIP while playing unless you are an uber typist.

kwebb12
April 8th, 2009, 19:51
Ha; yea we plan on using VoIP for the majority of the session and using FG as a base ground for keeping everyone true to their die roll.

But, I also realized the potential FG could give me as a DM by storing items and monsters.

I had the pleasure of getting one of my players rolled into his character lastnight and we went through the process of buying his starting gear. Since we're using the JE_4E? ruleset there aren't any mods with it. Hence all the item and monster databases were completely empty. Now, I know that I can go in and add things in manually by just copying them from the books and such... I was curious if someone had already done this and those were available (Monsters & Items).

I think I created your basic Longsword and Dagger lastnight, haha. Very fun stuff.

Griogre
April 8th, 2009, 21:12
It's not legal to distribute anything 4E. However it is almost certainly legal to transform material you legally own in a book or PDF into FG data as long as you don't distribute it. There are some parsers at FUM where you got the ruleset that would allow you to build library modules by cutting and pasting from a PDF or just inputting things by hand. So a lot of people have built their own modules or at least the parts that interest them.

kwebb12
April 8th, 2009, 21:20
THanks for clearing that up - Sounds like I'll probably just be going the 'manual-labor' direction; I'm not good with mods/parsing.. ha.

kwebb12
April 9th, 2009, 08:04
Anyone that's worked a lot with the 4EParser... could you send me a message? I'd like to get some 'live' detailed assistance. I just ran through and created/imported in my first NPC/Monster so I just have a few things I'd like to ask.

Messenger/Emails perhaps? Thanks!

Tenian
April 9th, 2009, 11:18
Your best bet is to ask questions in the D&D 4th Edition FG Development group over on FUM. You'll find a lot of people using the parser there.