PDA

View Full Version : Want to upgrade my PC soon

valzoric
April 7th, 2009, 03:35
Hello,
New to the game and the forums. I'm looking to upgrade my PC soon and I have not installed Fantasy Grounds 2 yet. While I want to play, I'm afraid if I install it on my old PC I will have to buy another license for the new PC.

Is this true, or can I transfer the license. This was not clear in the FAQ and I could not find another thread on the topic. I appologize if this has already been asked.

Thanks for your time.

EugeneZ
April 7th, 2009, 04:26
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice.

My opinion, yes. Based on this in the EULA:

You may transfer the license to another system for your personal use as long as the SOFTWARE is not used or installed on multiple systems.

unerwünscht
April 7th, 2009, 05:10
No.. you would not need a new license for this. The reason being that you personally will be using the software on your current computer, and when you get the new computer, you will stop using the application on the current one, and you personally will be using it again on the new system.

It would be absolutely unreasonable for smite works to expect you to purchase the software again every time you upgraded systems, some of us upgrade about once a week.

EugeneZ
April 7th, 2009, 13:07
Microsoft Windows used to work this way. It kind of still does. They allow a number of upgrades but the key word is "allow." Their EULA states that OEM copies of Windows are assigned to that specific machine. And since the Windows EULA is probably the most well known example, it's not an altogether unreasonable question, I think.

unerwünscht
April 7th, 2009, 14:19
Microsoft Windows used to work this way. It kind of still does. They allow a number of upgrades but the key word is "allow." Their EULA states that OEM copies of Windows are assigned to that specific machine. And since the Windows EULA is probably the most well known example, it's not an altogether unreasonable question, I think.

You could not be more incorrect, sir. By default Windows will allow you to install it 5 times. Afterwords you must contact Microsoft, explain to them that you have upgraded computers, and that you need to reinstall, and they will give you a code that will allow you to install the software again. They just want to make sure that the software is not being used on more than one system at a time. I know because I have had to do this many times at this point.

grider
April 7th, 2009, 16:28
You could not be more incorrect, sir. By default Windows will allow you to install it 5 times. Afterwords you must contact Microsoft, explain to them that you have upgraded computers, and that you need to reinstall, and they will give you a code that will allow you to install the software again. They just want to make sure that the software is not being used on more than one system at a time. I know because I have had to do this many times at this point.

I agree that this is correct. However, if you purchased a volume license key (VLK), you can use that key indefinitely. Sometimes, people get confused by this.

unerwünscht
April 7th, 2009, 16:36
I agree that this is correct. However, if you purchased a volume license key (VLK), you can use that key indefinitely. Sometimes, people get confused by this.

Well there are a few other exceptions to the general rule, beyond the Volume License, the proprietary license (one that comes with a prebuild computer such as Dell or Compaq) can not be transferred to a new system, but that license comes at an EXTREME discount because of such restrictions. However, if you build your own computer, and you goto your local software vendor and purchase Windows, you can install it (by default) 5 times, before you need to contact Microsoft and just tell them what you are doing. The process takes on average around 15 minutes.

EugeneZ
April 7th, 2009, 22:45
Yes, my post makes it clear I was referring to the OEM license, the one that comes with pre-built computers. That is the one the "average" user has and what I find many users expect to hear when it comes to EULAs. Phone support at Microsoft have explicitely stated to me that the license cannot be transfered to a new machine, so I don't believe I am incorrect.

unerwünscht
April 7th, 2009, 23:04
And the last time I checked you had to purchase Fantasy Grounds separate from your actual computer, nor do they offer a discount for a preinstalled version shipping with the computer. So it would be unreasonable for them to expect you to not install it on your new system after an upgrade.

EugeneZ
April 8th, 2009, 01:39
It's unfortunate, but unreasonable licensing practices are all too common nowadays. I fundamentally agree with you. But I suspect that the OP asked for the same reason people ask me similar questions about other software: they've been beaten over the head with restrictive licenses on everything from software to music, and are now afraid that any purchase they make will be taken away from them due to some percieved infraction. It's scary that people have to ask these sorts of questions ("Can I upgrade my computer and still use the software I paid for?") and scarier still that the answer isn't always clear.

Luckily, in FG2's case, it is pretty clear there's no problem.

unerwünscht
April 8th, 2009, 05:01
Oh man I know EXACTLY what you are talking... SPORE!!!!!
I hate that DRM so much. But I think EA will loosen the restrictions for you if you contact them about... (I think.. not sure)

EugeneZ
April 9th, 2009, 04:48
Actually they've been really... frustrating about the whole DRM thing. One of their suits announced at some point that something like less than a percent of buyers had complained about the limit on activations.

I didn't complain, I just didn't buy the game. Do they count that in the statistics? Anyway, it really isn't just Spore. I sigh at you, software industry. Sigh.

Griogre
April 9th, 2009, 19:27
Sure you count in the statistics - total sales. In the case of Spore, meaningless. DRM only matters to sales on marginal, sales wise, products (assuming it doesn't erase your hard drive, of course).

Software companies are in some cases screwed, damn if you do - damned if you don't. Why do you think everyone likes MORPGs? Why do you think we are going to more and more thin client, server based software? Lots of things become much easier to manage if customers have to run software through your server.

EugeneZ
April 9th, 2009, 20:32
MMOs have the same problem. WoW's private servers are rampant. The simple fact is that pirates will always win. It's pointless to fight -- just realize that it's yet another business problem you must tackle. Don't anger your customers doing it. If you think EA's reputation and future sales won't be affected by DRM, think again. I'm not saying they'll be going bankrupt tomorrow but any company needs to fight for every customer. I simply don't believe that DRM somehow prevents more people from pirating than it angers. If someone wants to pirate a game, lack of DRM doesn't make it easy. Hitting a torrent site is way, way easier than copying a game that doesn't have DRM. People will pirate it if they want to. Make them like your company and your product enough, make it convenient and easy to obtain the product, for a fee. Steam is a great example. It's easier to use than torrents. That's why Steam sales are doing so well. And Steam even has DRM! It's just not intrusive and doesn't remove your rights: you can still install anywhere, just only play one copy at a time. Can it be pirated? Yes. Will it make many people angry? No.

unerwünscht
April 10th, 2009, 00:32
Hold on a sec...
I play WOW on a private server, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I am to cheap to buy the program because I have purchased WOW about 6 times now, nor am I to cheap to pay the monthly subscription. I am however not at all impressed with the rampant 12 year olds on the official servers, nor do I like the expansions for wow.

My solution is to play on a private server where you have to atleast be smart enough to edit a file so you can log onto the server. And the server I use does not support the new expansion, nor will it ever.