PDA

View Full Version : Connection Issues

Vishera
April 1st, 2009, 19:20
Why is it that nobody can connect to my game but I can connect to it? Ive tried that IP it lists in the top left, I tried an alias, I even tried my real IP and not the network IP, still nothing. I even went as far as turning my firewall completely off.. no dice

Spyke
April 1st, 2009, 19:29
Why is it that nobody can connect to my game but I can connect to it? Ive tried that IP it lists in the top left, I tried an alias, I even tried my real IP and not the network IP, still nothing. I even went as far as turning my firewall completely off.. no diceYou probably need to set the port forwarding in your router. There's more detail at https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Networking, or search this forum for posts containing "port forward".

Spyke

Vishera
April 1st, 2009, 19:43
alright I'll give it a shot.. its such a pain to hook up to my router since my laptop is on a wireless network lol. Ill be sure to enable wireless connect for future needs. thanks Ill let you know if I still have no luck

Griogre
April 1st, 2009, 20:15
Why is it that nobody can connect to my game but I can connect to it?
Because the host does all the work setting up the server connections, thus the players don't have to do anything, is the short answer. The longer answer is that is how servers, port connections, and routers work and the devils in the details. :p

Ive tried that IP it lists in the top left,
I assume you mean top right... that's the local IP number of your computer on your local LAN. It should only be used if you have someone on your local LAN connecting to your server and to set you router up for port forwarding.

I tried an alias, I even tried my real IP and not the network IP, still nothing.
As mentioned nothing will work until you open the ports on all the boxes between your computer and the Internet, configure the firewalls in the boxes and port forward each box onto the next box until it reaches your computer. This could be as simple as a router to your computer or you could have serveral boxes in between. After you set that up you need to configure the software firewall on your computer to allow FG to be a server.

I even went as far as turning my firewall completely off.. no dice Turning off a modern firewall on your computer has no effect on port settings it just freezes them and prevents any configuration of them. Which means you can never configure the firewall to allow FG to act as a server, so typically that is not very helpful.

The first time is a pain, but just about anyone who keeps hacking at it can get it to work eventually as long as you control all the boxes between you and the Internet.

Vishera
April 2nd, 2009, 00:16
well I did all that stuff but I dont know if it works yet or not since my buddy isnt home now.. so unless one of you wants to attempt a connection really quick?

Griogre
April 2nd, 2009, 05:35
Post an alias so someone coming by can try to connect. Please start the server with the foundation ruleset so anyone testing won't have to download a ruleset.

Vishera
April 2nd, 2009, 05:49
my buddy came back home so we got it working, I didnt have the ports open, thanks!

Spyke
April 2nd, 2009, 07:56
my buddy came back home so we got it working, I didnt have the ports open, thanks!Excellent. Glad it's working. Now the fun really begins!

Spyke