PDA

View Full Version : Rulebook conversions and Parsing

Zeus
March 28th, 2009, 11:32
Hello all,

I have just purchased the full FG2 application software and I first have to say what a wonderful application it is. I have a few questions and being a noob with FG2 I'm hoping someone kind enough here will point me in the right direction. I'll apologise right now if the questions are stupid or if the post is in the wrong area, if the latter would you very nice mods be so kind as to move it to the appropriate place.

Now from reading various other posts I understand that 4e licensing prohibits the distribution of WotC 4e material however I believe I'm right in understanding that as long as the material my group uses has been legally purchased that we are entitled to 'convert' the content for FG2 for our own personal use.

With that in mind I intend to convert the entire rule book and module collection that we own and have begun to do so with the PHB and MM. My questions relates to Character Creation and Class Traits as well as the most excellent 4E Parser from Tenian.

I have successfully used Parser 2.0.5 to parse about 80% of PHB and MM data to create my first modules and at the moment I use the WYSWYG editing features of FG2 to create a seperate module for the verbage elements (What is Roleplaying etc). from the books into the Story window. This mainly because I prefer and am faster at using the FG2 WYSWYG editor as opposed to formatted text with HTML tags. I then use a common Merge ID (e.g. 4ePHB and 4eMM) for both modules.

My questions are:

1) Should I be using the Story window to hold the Rule book verbage or should the entire structure and content for PHB and the other rule books be be parsed with Parser and stored in the Reference Library? I ask because at the moment I have two modules for each book and would prefer 1 for easy management. I'd also like my players to be able to have access to the verbage when they create characters locally in FG2 (I don't believe the 4E_JPG ruleset enables the Story window in this mode just the Reference Library).
2) How do I parse Class Traits? Should this be parsed using Parser and Reference.txt and stored in Reference also?
3) Much like Power functionality in 4E_JPG Character Sheet (not sure if this is correct) that enables me to drag a power/feat/feature from the Library to the Sheet and auto populate the appropriate fields and entries. Can I do the same with Character Class Traits, Paragon Path, Epic Destiny and Racial Traits?

Many thanks

Zeph

Tenian
March 28th, 2009, 13:05
Well FUM is now back up and it's probably the best place to ask these questions now. However:

1) Reference is for storing rules. The reference file is structured so you can build a tree structure (Chapter->Subsection->Article) and store any rules material you want. All the data in the text reference file is formatted text which allows you to include any of the HTMLish tags that FG2 supports. Reference can also include images, so you can transfer any useful images (like the cover charts). You could use the FG editor (or any HTML editor really) and copy the formatted text and transfer it into the reference file. You would only need to add the ZGROUP->ZSUBGROUP->ZNAME->ZTEXT tags to build the tree structure.

2) Class features can be stored in the power/feat/feature file. Their format should be included in the parser document.

3) Racial traits can be parsed like features, paragon and epic features require the proper entries in the class file but will parse as well. They should appear in the library and support drag/drop.

Zeus
March 28th, 2009, 14:41
Well FUM is now back up and it's probably the best place to ask these questions now. However:

1) Reference is for storing rules. The reference file is structured so you can build a tree structure (Chapter->Subsection->Article) and store any rules material you want. All the data in the text reference file is formatted text which allows you to include any of the HTMLish tags that FG2 supports. Reference can also include images, so you can transfer any useful images (like the cover charts). You could use the FG editor (or any HTML editor really) and copy the formatted text and transfer it into the reference file. You would only need to add the ZGROUP->ZSUBGROUP->ZNAME->ZTEXT tags to build the tree structure.

2) Class features can be stored in the power/feat/feature file. Their format should be included in the parser document.

3) Racial traits can be parsed like features, paragon and epic features require the proper entries in the class file but will parse as well. They should appear in the library and support drag/drop.

Tenian, thanks for the quick reply.

1) As I thought but just want to check - thanks for the clarification.
2) Class features are but Class Traits don't seem to be documented unless I have missed something
3) I get a Racial Traits/Powers link under Library along with Feats, Items, Magic Items, Powers and Skills but I don't get a Class Traits link or a Powers Index. Am I missing something?

Tenian
March 28th, 2009, 14:49
By class traits do you mean the starting hps, heal surges etc? Those are not parsed...I just include them in the reference.

Zeus
March 28th, 2009, 15:05
By class traits do you mean the starting hps, heal surges etc? Those are not parsed...I just include them in the reference.

Yes that what I meant, the stuff included in the green boxes under each Class description in the PHB. No worries I'll add it to Reference.txt

One more question (thanks for being so patient with me BTW), how do I link from a reference object to another one e.g. I have two entries in reference.txt

ZGROUP
GroupName
ZSUBGROUP
SubGroupName
ZNAME
ArticleName
ZTEXT
{formatted text}

and

ZGROUP
GroupName2
ZSUBGROUP
SubGroupName1
ZNAME
ArticleName2
ZTEXT
{formatted text}

I understand how to link to Power/Feats lists etc using:

<listlink><link> class="reference_classpowerlist" recordname="refpowerlists4ePHE.heroicfeats@4e Players Handbook@>Heroic Tier Feats</link>
</listlink>

How would I link the article in the first group to the article in the second group?

Thanks again.

Zeus
March 28th, 2009, 15:55
For future reference where abouts on the FUM forum would you recommend posting questions regarding the parser and FG2?

Griogre
March 28th, 2009, 23:58
The 4E Development group: https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/community/groups/viewgroup/49-DD+4th+Edition+FG+Development