5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... Last

Thread: Video Tutorials

Video Tutorials

I've made a collection of FG2 Video Tutorials covering the use of the program and some of the basic fundamentals that a lot of questions are asked about. These will see continual revision over the next month or so as I receive feedback. When downloading them, please right-click the link and save the WMV to your computer before watching it. This will help extend my bandwidth, as I'm hosting these files myself, for now.

• Quick Start Guide Quick overview of the basic features of FG2, from both DM and Player perspectives. (24:26, 23.8 MB)
    • Campaign Entry Basics Demonstration of the basic building blocks for building a campaign. (DM focused) (13:34, 13.5 MB)
    • Adventure Modules In-Depth how-to guide for creating and exporting a campaign into an adventure module. (28:35, 31.8 MB)
    • Miniature to Token Video Tutorial Quickly and easily turn any image (DDM minis used in tutorial) into a side-view style token. (3:00, 5.3 MB)
    • Map Rescaling Video Tutorial Simple method for rescaling an existing map to fit your preferred grid size. (4:30, 8.3 MB)
    • 4E_JPG Ruleset Overview From the character sheet to the combat tracker, a full walk-through of the ruleset. Note: This ruleset has no library modules, just blank character sheets and templates. (32:20, 29.1 MB)

15-Sep-2008 Update: Advisory added--token export workaround not needed with FG2 v2.2!

I just want to make a quick update (I'll revise the PDF and vid-tutorials this weekend, no game ):

You no longer need to use the token-export workaround, thanks to the 2.2 update. You can just export your host tokens, and they will stay linked correctly now. I'm sure the veterans caught this, but for newer folks just starting to make adventure modules SKIP that part of my tutorial--just link your tokens from your token box--you don't need to do the "partial export" step anymore.

Nice fix, SmiteWorks!
    Last edited by Xorn; September 16th, 2008 at 07:35.
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

very wicked awesome! and handy! thanx! keep making them!

Xorn.. buddy...

You rule!

Maybe you could make one for the parser utility that Tenian has posted on FUM.

I'm working on it now.. lots of trial and error, but I'm finally getting somwhere.

How to make an adventure module is a fairly common question.

Poor Xorn

A video for my parser? And you thought FG2's documentation was spotty? More power to him if he wants to try it

Good stuff, well done. One of the things I liked about kLoOge.Werks is their video tutorials section. I think most people learn better by seeing and doing as opposed to reading.

Yeah, Griogre has it right. The module export facility really needs looking at. And how about maps, something to do with creating them for the right size, adding grids and so on.

One last thing, if you highlight a number of lines together and change the paragraph type to links, FG2 will create links out of each line, no need to do them individually or delete-return each time.
    DNH
    "Lost in Karameikos"

One minor thing...

You might want to mention when you save your token to use .png (or similar). If they save it to .jpg then the transparency work is lost

Good tutorials Xorn, I learnt something new about story entries (tab in a chat box to assign a speaker) and was amazed at your speed on the tokens.

Good drumming too

Stuart

Oh yeah! You know the first draft I actually did mention to save as PNG, but on the second pass (which I liked better because of my fiance's drumming in the background) I forgot!

And on the story entries, that's the revision--setting links for a whole block of text.

Okay, Adventure Module exporting is definitely priority, I'll cover everything in the PDF and more.

The Parser... wow. I just don't know. I'll look at trying to make one later, but I want to cover the core FG2 stuff first.

I can expand the story entry one into data entry basics, how to do Story, Map/Image, Personalities, Items, and Tokens, maybe call it a Quick Start Guide to DMing or something.

Maybe the basics of installing a new ruleset? (I'd use JPG_4E as the example.) I wouldn't get too fancy with that.
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

Quote Originally Posted by Xorn
    (I'd use JPG_4E as the example.) I wouldn't get too fancy with that.
    You may want to use something else rather than tie a tutorial on this site to something Wizards could get shirty about.

Perhaps unpack the basic ruleset and set it up as a custom ruleset, as you can show where to place things the same?

Thread Information