FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: HERO System

HERO System

Has anyone tried to tackle the HERO system in FG at all?

It's a d6 based game, and after reading some post threads, seems to parallel SW to at least some extent. It's mainly a Superhero type game, but I've used the system for Modern, and Fantasy with mixed results.

Anyone played both? if so, can you compare and contract SW and HERO at all?
    It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll;
    I am the Master of my Fate, I am the Captain of my Soul.

I have played both – Hero for since the early 90’s, but neither in FG. I really like both systems, but lean heavily towards Savage Worlds. Hero, specifically Champions, will IMO handle higher powered Supers a better than Savage but the trade off in time would not be worth it for me. There are a ton of Savaged Evangelists on the forum here, so I will let them go into more detail for you. I’ll just say the speed of the system and the dramatically reduced prep time won me over very quickly. It is my rules system of choice for most genres.

Huge fan of Hero and as generic systems go its awesome, I love what you can do with the system.

As of yet I have not seen anyone mention that they are specifically working on the rules.

What you could do is use the Generic ruleset that was developed for FG2 (should be easily searchable) which allows you to manually enter Stats, skills etc and just have the books for reference whilst you play. Not all singing and dancing but doable I reckon.

SW is an excellent system which promises fast, furious fun. Character creation is quick and gameplay can be as detailed as you want. Using tactics is advised to survive thats for sure.

SW:Explorers Edition is less than $10 to buy a hardcopy and is more than worth the purchase. The ruleset done by DA for FG is excellent as well and you get a nice adventure that showcases most things including the mass battle rules.

A nice change from your usual Superhero campaign in SW would be Necessary Evil (all the heroes are gone and only the villains are left to fight for mankind, well for themselves but mankind benefits if the invaders are beaten )
    Last edited by Sorontar; October 19th, 2007 at 02:02.

If I could get a tutorial an creating a rule set I will be happy to try and build a HERO rule set for FG2. I will look for a tutorial myself however any suggestions would be welcome.
    ..... now where is my hat?

A little while back I e-mailed Steve Long through the Hero website about making an official ruleset for Fantasy Grounds. He seemed interested though he said they didn't have time to make a plug-in for FG at that time. I sent word to Digital Adventures about contacting Hero and trying to work something out. DA sent word to Hero but didn't get much response. I'm sure Digital Adventures would be happy to add Hero to their list of rulesets. I just think that more Hero fans need to tell the people at Hero Games that we want an official ruleset for Fantasy Grounds and how it would only help Hero Games' sales.

-Tristram

I think getting an official Champions ruleset made could get bogged down by Cryptic (owner of the Champions IP) and Hero Games (owner of the HERO system) trying to cooperate. Hero Games could make a generic HERO system ruleset, but they'd probably have to talk to Cryptic to make it a Champions ruleset.

A fan-made ruleset, on the other hand, wouldn't get slowed down by that sort of thing.
    In Exalted, there's no such thing as impossible; merely varying degrees of awesome.

Any further progress on development of this ruleset?

Old thread here, but still hoping to see a bit of progress. . .anyone have any luck on getting this ruleset in motion? I'm no coder, but I'm still willing to lend a hand if anyone has a work in progress that they want a hand with. . .

Jack that I know of... regular life has interjected in a big way here.

Hero Games and Fantasy Grounds

People, it is not possible that people simple give up this amazing idea! It would be great for us, gamers and customers, for the programmer (whoever it may be), for Fantasy Grounds and for Hero Games. We should join and ask for it!
    They might start with minor things and go improving it over time!

Thread Information