DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Looking for answers

I am looking to purchase this product and have some questions, answers I could not find in the FAQ section.

The Demo version says that it can "support" two individuals, how can I get someone to "log into" my demo version so we can play with this software?

Do you import you own artwork for maps, if I have Campaign Cartographer 3, can I use those maps I have made?

In the Demo version I am uable to create a character, does Fantasy Grounds allow you to actually make a say for example 5th level fighter or whatever character and does it use 3.5 D&D rules?

Do you have to schedule game sessions or can a bunch of us just decide to start gaming on a whim?

If I purchase a full and four lites in order to get the discount, am I able to give individual download keys to individual people?

Thank you for your attention, I really like to look of this software and am hoping to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Onegrayson
    The Demo version says that it can "support" two individuals, how can I get someone to "log into" my demo version so we can play with this software?
    Have a friend download the demo version as well, then give your friend your external IP address and have them put that in when trying to connect. You will need to forward port 1802 on any routers/firewalls you have in place.

Do you import you own artwork for maps, if I have Campaign Cartographer 3, can I use those maps I have made?
    Yes, just export your maps as JPG, GIF or PNG and then place the art in your campaigns\campaignname\images folder. I believe this is only available in the full version.

In the Demo version I am uable to create a character, does Fantasy Grounds allow you to actually make a say for example 5th level fighter or whatever character and does it use 3.5 D&D rules?
    Actually you can create characters with the demo. Just click on the icon in the top right that looks like three people. Enter a name and then double click the entry. You can then start filling in the character sheet.

Do you have to schedule game sessions or can a bunch of us just decide to start gaming on a whim?
    There is a game calendar/schedule as part of this community, but you can just call up a bunch of friends and get them to connect. They all must have at least the lite version of the program, however.

If I purchase a full and four lites in order to get the discount, am I able to give individual download keys to individual people?
    You can give them the key and the download link, but the licenses are not "hot-swappable". The person who gets that license can only install it on a single computer and it becomes theirs. It is not like other VTs (ie KloogeWerks) where you can have floating licenses that you can lease out to whomever you like.

Bear in mind in the Demo you can't save anything so I wouldn't input some complicated character.

For you just messing around you can run two instances of the demo on one machine to see the differences between the host and client. You shouldn't have to do any network configuration if you do that.

Also, there is no upgrade from a lite version of the software to a full version. If you think someone else is going to run you might want to get more than one full version.

Finally, I strongly recommend you make sure you can connect to your friends with the demo. If you can't connect with the demo you won't be able to connect with the full version.

A good way to try out Fantasy Grounds might be to take part in an FG game at iCon (www.iconvention.org) on March 24 or 25.

Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure if SmiteWorks is offering any kind of free demo client for use during iCon. Does anyone know?
    MapForge battlemap creation software for Windows and Mac OS X

Networking

Hmmm, we tried using my IP address and we were not able to connect. We both downloaded the Demo version. How do we set up that 1802 port thing? We both have wireless connections and Firewalls.

First you have to open port 1802 on your firewall(s). It is likely your cable or DSL modem (if you connect that way) and router both have firewalls. Your computer may have another one.

Once 1802 is open you need to port forward it to the interal ip of the computer that is hosting.

If you give a more detail idea of your setup someone is more likely to help you. IE how do you connect to the Internet? What is the make and model of the box that connects you to the internet? What is the make and model of router? Do you have any switches or anything else between your computer and the router? What OS are you using and do you have a software firewall on your computer? How are your internal IP's allocated and is the internal IP of your computer static? Have you scaned port 1802 while you are running the demo and what was the result?

If you don't understand any of the questions - just ask and someone will be able to help you.

OKay I will give you what I can.

I connect wirelessly via a Lynksis router Model SRX 200. I have Windows XP and use the Windows Firewall provided software. I am unaware if this is a static connection or not but when I went to what is my IP address. com it gave me a number.

Response

OKay I will give you what I can.

I connect wirelessly via a Lynksis router Model SRX 200. I have Windows XP and use the Windows Firewall provided software. I am unaware if this is a static connection or not but when I went to what is my IP address. com it gave me a number.

Thanks in advance.

My experience is that Windows Firewall is a terrible piece of software. It doesn't always exempt what it says it exempts and the businesses I've seen dont use it.

Your mileage may vary but consider dropping the firewall during your test and (long term) replacing it with something else.

Have you read the networking faq?

https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/fo...faq_networking
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Hi,

Does your router have some other code too? - the SRX 200 is not necessarily the manufacturer part number but might refer to speed and range expansion technology built in your router.

Thread Information