DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Encounters to Map Tokens to Combat Tracker

Ok, I've looked and I can't seem to figure this out.

I can put enemies into an Encounter sheet. I can click and make those enemies populate into the Combat Tracker. But I can't figure out how to put the tokens on the map BEFORE putting them into the Combat Tracker. Is it possible?

I want to be able to create an Encounter Sheet with several enemies. Then I want to be able to drag their tokens onto a map. When I hit the button in the encounter sheet that populates the Combat Tracker, I want the tokens to be linked between the combat tracker and the tokens on the map. Is this possible?

Blog Entries
    What ruleset are you using? The 3.5 ruleset can do that, though there's currently a bug that prevents the information being saved if you export a module. That bug is fixed in the current test version, I think. I'm not sure if other rulesets have that feature, though.

~P

Quote Originally Posted by Phystus
    What ruleset are you using? The 3.5 ruleset can do that, though there's currently a bug that prevents the information being saved if you export a module. That bug is fixed in the current test version, I think. I'm not sure if other rulesets have that feature, though.

~P
    I'm using the C&C ruleset, which may not allow it. It was built for v. 2.0, though I have manually changed it to 2.8 so I could implement some of the LUA code from 4.0.

I'll try it in 3.5 to see if it works, then I'll try to find the LUA code and get it into the C&C ruleset.

You should be able to do what you want. I'm not very familiar with the C&C ruleset and I have an old development version but if you drop the monsters into the personality list and open the monster you just dropped you should get the monster pop up window. At the top left, to the left of the shaded square by the monster name is a white circle. Drag and drop the token you want the monster to use on to this white circle. If the token sticks up there you did it right. Once you have a monster token then try drag and dropping the monster onto the combat tracker or onto an encounter.

The trick is dropping the monster into the personality list. Generally library monster data can't be changed so you can't add tokens to monsters prior to making a copy of them by dropping them somewhere.

After some playing around, I see that it works fine in 3.5, but not at all in C&C.

It's a limitation of the ruleset because, apparently, C&C hasn't been updated in quite awhile, which really sucks. I switched my entire gaming group over to C&C because I had hoped that the support would be better than OSRIC, since it is "officially" supported.

Turns out I was wrong. It's really frustrating to make a purchase and then get into the meat and potatoes and end up battling the software to get it to do what you want. We are using FG2 because we can't get together in person due to time constraints...but I spend so much time trying to figure out why feature 'X' isn't behaving intuitively, that it detracts from the experience.

Guess I'll have to roll up my sleeves and start converting C&C up to v. 2.8. I would rather spend my time converting OSRIC though...or AEC for Labyrinth Lord.

Yeah, it's a shame when the older, but still commercial, rulesets don't get updated.

If you're using C&C you should use this extension in your campaigns - it doesn't bring recent functionality into the ruleset, but it does add some nice features.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    Yeah, it's a shame when the older, but still commercial, rulesets don't get updated.

If you're using C&C you should use this extension in your campaigns - it doesn't bring recent functionality into the ruleset, but it does add some nice features.
    I am using it...but it's still frustrating.

Updating older rulesets is on the Smiteworks goal list for 2012 - see this in the 2011 Annual Report.

Of course, this will rely on community members contacting Smiteworks and taking on the challenge of updating a particular ruleset and any associated accessories.

Anyone want to volunteer for updating C&C?

I'm already working on it and have already contacted moon_wizard about it

Quote Originally Posted by Urieal
    I'm already working on it and have already contacted moon_wizard about it
    Cool!

Thread Information