STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by opusaug View Post
    Can someone explain to me what the problem is with THAC0? The first few times I heard people complain about it, I thought they were joking. I guess in the intervening years since I stopped playing D&D, there was some kind of change to the rules to make it more complicated, but I never got the memo. Why do people hate it?
    Exactly 1E born and raised, would give anything to find a group using THAC0.......

Blog Entries
    Being born and raised on 1e is all well and good but dont let that tie you to the archaic and senseless THAC0!
    Every other improving Stat increases.... bah humbug!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Being born and raised on 1e is all well and good but dont let that tie you to the archaic and senseless THAC0!
    See, I knew I there was a reason you are an OK guy! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I won't....in fact I have to say I got the 5E PHB and a hardcopy, and have to say reading so far I think I like it better then 2E, and 3E (never played but I did check out rules) (never played 4E, or know much about it only heard bad stories)

But with that said that "Archaic" system is still tied to some of my best gaming experiences....no reason not to get some 1E games going or work on a ruleset......I think MANY old players would enjoy nostalgia, and many NEW players would enjoy the retro experience. If you don't understand why the Wizard and Knight wet themselves when a guy with a lute walks into the tavern you just don't understand old school D&D.

Blog Entries
    Castles & Crusades very much captures the 1e feel of D&D. Gary Gygax worked with the Trolls in his last years and did contribute to C&C. Barring the ascending AC it is very similar.

Now if only I can find a C&C game....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawker73 View Post
    Now if only I can find a C&C game....
    Hey there. I may have room in a Thursday evening game, 7-10 PM Central. PM me if you're interested in hearing more.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawker73 View Post
    But with that said that "Archaic" system is still tied to some of my best gaming experiences....no reason not to get some 1E games going or work on a ruleset......I think MANY old players would enjoy nostalgia, and many NEW players would enjoy the retro experience.
    I agree wholeheartedly however, you would need to find a coder that loves and knows the AD&D system who also has the time to dedicate to create the ruleset and then be responsible for maintaining it with each revision of Fantasy Grounds to make sure nothing gets broken and fix it when anything does break. All that with the probably of no compensation.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Blog Entries
    Probably of no real help since you'd still need a ruleset coded, but I hear Swords & Wizardry is essentially a re-worked 1st edition or something like that. I think the basic rules PDF is available free?

I bring it up because SmiteWorks does have a license agreement with Frog God, but for the Pathfinder versions of their products. If a S&W ruleset were available then S&W versions of their products could be in the Store to help post-ruleset funding for whomever codes them. But, you're still looking at needing the S&W ruleset coded to begin with, which is a monumental task in and of itself and would likely take a year or longer to get done.

Meanwhile a C&C ruleset is available right now, and maybe that will satisfy enough of the OSR urge?

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Probably of no real help since you'd still need a ruleset coded, but I hear Swords & Wizardry is essentially a re-worked 1st edition or something like that. I think the basic rules PDF is available free?

I bring it up because SmiteWorks does have a license agreement with Frog God, but for the Pathfinder versions of their products. If a S&W ruleset were available then S&W versions of their products could be in the Store to help post-ruleset funding for whomever codes them. But, you're still looking at needing the S&W ruleset coded to begin with, which is a monumental task in and of itself and would likely take a year or longer to get done.

Meanwhile a C&C ruleset is available right now, and maybe that will satisfy enough of the OSR urge?
    Swords and Wizardry is an excellent game, but it isn't 1e, it is 0e. AC starts at 9 vice 10 for descending (or uses ascending). Single saving throw vice the 5 in 1e. Race as Class. +1 to -1 for stat modifiers vice +3 to -3 in 1e. etc. etc.

Nonetheless, if you use the Swords and Wizardy Complete version, it is as close to 1e as your going to get without it actually being 1e, because it is using every supplement for 0e that existed right up to the release of the AD&D Players Handbook.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Thread Information