STAR TREK 2d20
Page 7 of 20 First ... 5678917 ... Last

Thread: TORG - Eternity

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Try this... just a few small tweaks.
    Princeearwig I think you are probably better at working from rstrahans extension as its further along.
    I think you may be correct
    I do like the righ thand two panels being used as pool and hand, which is what made me start thinking that two panels would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Try this... just a few small tweaks.
    Princeearwig I think you are probably better at working from rstrahans extension as its further along.
    Nice! I was wondering about changing some of the window elements, but it wound up pretty far down the to do list. I've archived my other version and working from your new files now.

I've made a few changes to the character sheet and some of the strings, mostly label changes, but I also added a 'column 6' to the character sheet and to the options menu (using the same visibility/color options as the 4 and 5 columns). The combat frame now has the 3 defense skills (Melee Weapons, Unarmed Combat, and Dodge) and the 3 health related items (Shock, Wounds, and Toughness). I tweaked the frame size to make everything fit, but I'm not really happy with the final look as the frame effectively shares a border with the Skill frame now. I could probably remove the Order element and make it all fit okay, it really depends on where I go with the combat tracker.

Regarding the Combat Tracker...I made an effort to do what I thought would be some minor tweaks (changing labels and adding a column), and blew it all to hell. I started getting all sorts of errors about anchoring elements and decided to take a break and come back to it later. If Damned is willing, maybe I could get some advice on how to go about adding a new optional column to the combat tracker?

Going forward, I would like to take a look at initiative in the Combat Tracker, card decks and hands, and a more involved character sheet, but I need to really dig into the code and do more research before I mess with anything. I'm still very much learning how to hack FG, so most of my changes are pretty shallow...I get the gist of the elements I'm tweaking, but have no real insight into the thing as a whole. I likely need to back up a few steps and find some resources for 'how FG works and how to modify it' rather than the 'jump in and see what I can figure out' that I've been doing. As the most holy of IT mantras teaches: "RTFM"

I have an easier time with the scripting than I do unwinding the graphical elements...probably the headspace from programming as my day job.

Considering TORG's initiative mechanic, do we really need an ordered combat tracker?
    It's either all the heroes then all the bad guys or the other way around.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrahan View Post
    Nice! I was wondering about changing some of the window elements, but it wound up pretty far down the to do list. I've archived my other version and working from your new files now.

I've made a few changes to the character sheet and some of the strings, mostly label changes, but I also added a 'column 6' to the character sheet and to the options menu (using the same visibility/color options as the 4 and 5 columns). The combat frame now has the 3 defense skills (Melee Weapons, Unarmed Combat, and Dodge) and the 3 health related items (Shock, Wounds, and Toughness). I tweaked the frame size to make everything fit, but I'm not really happy with the final look as the frame effectively shares a border with the Skill frame now. I could probably remove the Order element and make it all fit okay, it really depends on where I go with the combat tracker.

Regarding the Combat Tracker...I made an effort to do what I thought would be some minor tweaks (changing labels and adding a column), and blew it all to hell. I started getting all sorts of errors about anchoring elements and decided to take a break and come back to it later. If Damned is willing, maybe I could get some advice on how to go about adding a new optional column to the combat tracker?

Going forward, I would like to take a look at initiative in the Combat Tracker, card decks and hands, and a more involved character sheet, but I need to really dig into the code and do more research before I mess with anything. I'm still very much learning how to hack FG, so most of my changes are pretty shallow...I get the gist of the elements I'm tweaking, but have no real insight into the thing as a whole. I likely need to back up a few steps and find some resources for 'how FG works and how to modify it' rather than the 'jump in and see what I can figure out' that I've been doing. As the most holy of IT mantras teaches: "RTFM"

I have an easier time with the scripting than I do unwinding the graphical elements...probably the headspace from programming as my day job.
    There are a HUGE number of things to get right in the CT.
    Everything is anchored to the thing next to it.
    Many items are optional and you need to define options in the ruleset/extension too.
    Keep following the errors and addressing them one at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by princeearwig View Post
    Considering TORG's initiative mechanic, do we really need an ordered combat tracker?
    It's either all the heroes then all the bad guys or the other way around.
    That's what I was thinking, but I've not used the program enough to know how everyone uses the CT. All you really need is an image of the drama card in play to see who has initiative, and I doubt it needs to be tracked much closer than that. The Tracker does make for a nice quick-reference for combat target numbers and tracking damage, and I was toying with the idea of using it for Destiny Pools if I can add an 'image frame' something like you can do now for effects, targets, etc.

Spent some time figuring out why the background image didn't look right, then reworked the graphics and the masking to make the image resizing more seamless. I also removed the Order input from the character sheet (it's not really needed for Torg), and started doing some additional work on the window styles. Still all a work in progress, but I'd like to get opinions on where it's going so far...especially the look/style for the characters and library windows.

If I continue down this path, I'll work on the window labels and update the other windows (for images, story, NPCs, etc.) to match.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm loving the look and to the extent you've asked for feedback, my only comment would be to ask if the font on the library descriptions can either be shrunk or extended to fit on one line (encounters and organizations run long which Im sure you already knew). The color scheme and fonts look to match pretty darn close to the books. Same isn't true of the font and font color in the chat window or the colors on the character page, but assuming that's still a mock up? Regardless, the progress is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    I'm loving the look and to the extent you've asked for feedback, my only comment would be to ask if the font on the library descriptions can either be shrunk or extended to fit on one line (encounters and organizations run long which Im sure you already knew). The color scheme and fonts look to match pretty darn close to the books. Same isn't true of the font and font color in the chat window or the colors on the character page, but assuming that's still a mock up? Regardless, the progress is clear.
    I don't think there's much that can be done about that part of the Library display, as it's a function of how the window is laid out. Since it's something only the GM will see, and usually only when customizing the desktop or setting a campaign up, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I don't think I'm going to really do much with fonts as the default ones look pretty good, and I kind of like having the chat text look a bit different. One thing I do need to change (and have been having a bear of a time trying to locate where and how to do it), is the color of the font for some of the window labels.

I altered the windows so they all have the blue storm background, and the inner frames to have a texture and color that matches well with the rest of the theme, but leaves the text readable. The problem is some of the labels that rest on the blue background...the font is black and just disappears into it. This can be best seen on the party sheet, but it carries on through the other windows as well. Once I can track down that specific font entry (if anyone has advice or can point me to it, please let me know!), I'm thinking of tweaking the window borders a bit so the brown/bronze frame is a bit thinner.

Once I can solve that font issue and modify the border frames, I think I'm going to be mostly done with theme/style elements (unless I discover something cool I want to add or change). There are still a couple of tweaks I want to make to the combat tracker (remove the Order field and replace it with the 'column 6' I added to the sheet), but I think I'm ready to move on to a couple of bigger challenges: a more customized and automated character sheet, and start to really take a look at card decks.

Screenshot of current testing version attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm testing your extension, but I can't seem to get the rolls working. I keep getting an "attempt to index global 'Json' (a nil value)" script error in the console (e.g. "Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_custom_torg.lua"]:112: attempt to index global 'Json' (a nil value)").
    Is there anything specific I should do?

Quote Originally Posted by Torstein View Post
    I'm testing your extension, but I can't seem to get the rolls working. I keep getting an "attempt to index global 'Json' (a nil value)" script error in the console (e.g. "Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_custom_torg.lua"]:112: attempt to index global 'Json' (a nil value)").
    Is there anything specific I should do?
    That may be something I've already fixed, as there were a few similar errors I ran into related to how parameters were passed in from different areas.

How were you using the command when you got the error? I'll try to duplicate it in my development version and what I can do to fix it. I'm almost ready to post the latest work (mostly some stuff with custom dice and a few tweaks to the theme), so I want to make sure that I've squashed any bugs first.

Thread Information