There were subtle, underlying changes made to Story and Reference Manual / Book that make them usable in a different and useful way.
These changes are what Moon Wizard, Zacchaeus, and others have been talking about, but I missed what they were saying.
So here goes my explanation.

Here's my host game campaign. It's what players connect to for weekly play.
gm_view.jpg
The Book - Campaign is what I create by clicking the Campaign button on the Books list inside my game campaign.
This is not a module that I created outside of the game campaign, then exported, then referenced in my hosted game session.
In Book - Campaign I created a Missions chapter. I have one that is shared with the players (Gather the Crew). I have one that's private to me, the GM (Gather the Crew (GM)).
The other pages in the other chapters are shared, because it's the running lists of known NPCs, etc. I created these pages directly in the campaign book and can update them as I go. I don't need simple story entries for them any more.
The green boxes are to show how I got to the Book - Campaign.
The yellow boxes show a mission that I want to share with the players. I'll update this as the story unfolds. After I add the page, I share it on the Story list.
The red boxes are to show the GM only stuff. I don't want to share this with players.

Here's the player's view.
player_view.jpg
They don't see the current session's Book (this threw me). So they can't load it like referenced modules. They won't see the nice layout that the GM sees.
They do see the story entries, however.
The yellow box is the mission I shared with them.
The player doesn't see the GM version of the mission.
They also see the other pages in the game session Book that I shared. (green box)

So, I don't need to create separate campaigns where I create game modules and export them to reference in the game campaign.
I do all that directly inside the game campaign I host for our weekly game.
The down side is they don't have the storybook layout. They only have the Story version. To give them storybook presentation and navigation, I would need to create it as a module outside of the game session.

I hope this helps others understand how Storybooks are used, and the direction SmiteWorks is going with this.