5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

4.5 - Camera Mode Issues

No extensions loaded:

WASD move very slowly on large maps, and mousewheel zooms too little per click. Moving around a high-res city map or a world map is impractical.

I see that Shift-WASDXC moves faster. Probably fast enough... can Shift-Mousewheel also scroll more per click?

Any chance of an "Invert" option for middle-mouse-click-and-drag for both horizontal and vertical (separately)?

Once "Camera" or "Token" mode are entered and then reverted to regular 2d mode, middle-click and drag is very slow and choppy... Back to 3d mode and it's smooth again. [Edit]: This lag seems to persist between sessions, driving RTX 4070 TI to 75% constantly in 2d, drops to 36% in 3d.
    Last edited by rocketvaultgames; March 7th, 2024 at 05:08.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketvaultgames View Post
    No extensions loaded:

WASD move very slowly on large maps, and mousewheel zooms too little per click. Moving around a high-res city map or a world map is impractical.

I see that Shift-WASDXC moves faster. Probably fast enough... can Shift-Mousewheel also scroll more per click?

Any chance of an "Invert" option for middle-mouse-click-and-drag for both horizontal and vertical (separately)?

Once "Camera" or "Token" mode are entered and then reverted to regular 2d mode, middle-click and drag is very slow and choppy... Back to 3d mode and it's smooth again. [Edit]: This lag seems to persist between sessions, driving RTX 4070 TI to 75% constantly in 2d, drops to 36% in 3d.
    Try a new campaign with a smaller map. See if it is a performance issue or a optimization type of thing? Did you ever figure out your previous issues from a month ago?
    How big or complex is your map?
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Blog Entries
    Try it with grid snap turned off and see if the move is more like you expect.

JPG EDIT: This is only relevant to Token View mode.
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; March 7th, 2024 at 07:05.

For the show/choppy part, can you provide a link to the most recent zipped up version of your campaign folder that I can give to @pindercarl? (Plus, the name of the map affected.)

Thanks,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Laerun View Post
    Try a new campaign with a smaller map. See if it is a performance issue or a optimization type of thing? Did you ever figure out your previous issues from a month ago?
    How big or complex is your map?
    I can't reproduce the issue in a new campaign with a smaller map.

I have started using 75% quality WEBP for everything. There seems to be a small improvement, but large maps still take seconds to load on a fairly high-end machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    For the show/choppy part, can you provide a link to the most recent zipped up version of your campaign folder that I can give to @pindercarl? (Plus, the name of the map affected.)

Thanks,
    JPG
    Zipped Campaign: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qof9xrqmrx...02020.zip?dl=0

Image: "Map - Elturel in Avernus"

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Try it with grid snap turned off and see if the move is more like you expect.

JPG EDIT: This is only relevant to Token View mode.

No extensions loaded for any of this:

Image: "Map - Faerun"

Token Mode:

Grid Snap On: WASD can't move through hexes
    Grid Snap Off: Works OK

Camera Mode:

Grid Snap doesn't seem to make a difference either way.

WASDXC - Move pretty slowly (would prefer probably ~50% increase)
    Shift-WASDXC - Move faster (would still prefer probably ~50% increase)
    Mousewheel - zooms very slowly
    Shift-Mousewheel - NO CHANGE... if Shift could affect this that would be a help to have 2 zoom speeds at the ready

Maybe there could be a movement multiplier value or slider somewhere on a global / per map basis.
    Maybe it should be automatic but tied to some combination of map size (pixels) and/or grid scale

Middle-Mouse-Click-And-Drag:

I expect up/down and left/right to behave exactly opposite as they do (personal experience/taste). A toggle to flip these (individually) would be amazing. Most 3d games have an "invert y axis" or something similar.

Performance/Optimization:

On "Map - Faerun" in camera mode, there is a stutter every few seconds seen by these dips in GPU:

Camera Mode: Screenshot 2024-03-07 104338.png
    back to 2d Mode (still there but less frequent): Screenshot 2024-03-07 104516.png

Question Large maps

Look, I cannot tell you or fault you on how to run or manage your campaigns. I have done these very same things with too much and too large of assets and content.
    I am the worst example of this. and can speak on this matter somewhat.

I have to say that this issue is likely still related to the issues you had before.
    Your campaign folder is still rather large 5 GB+ and with tons of pictures, and more than half are still not optimized as .webp images, which mostly saves you disk space and slower transfer speeds to your players, however the sheer dimensions of some of your Elturel maps are huge in length and width terms. IF the map I am looking at now is the one you are using, it is rather large and some map images are/were originally made for printing I believe... see attached example.

Map sizes.jpg
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder

Large Maps 2

No extensions loaded for any of this:

Image: "Map - Faerun"

Token Mode:

Grid Snap On: WASD can't move through hexes
    Grid Snap Off: Works OK

Camera Mode:

Grid Snap doesn't seem to make a difference either way.

WASDXC - Move pretty slowly (would prefer probably ~50% increase)
    Shift-WASDXC - Move faster (would still prefer probably ~50% increase)
    Mousewheel - zooms very slowly
    Shift-Mousewheel - NO CHANGE... if Shift could affect this that would be a help to have 2 zoom speeds at the ready

Maybe there could be a movement multiplier value or slider somewhere on a global / per map basis.
    Maybe it should be automatic but tied to some combination of map size (pixels) and/or grid scale

Middle-Mouse-Click-And-Drag:

I expect up/down and left/right to behave exactly opposite as they do (personal experience/taste). A toggle to flip these (individually) would be amazing. Most 3d games have an "invert y axis" or something similar.

Performance/Optimization:

On "Map - Faerun" in camera mode, there is a stutter every few seconds seen by these dips in GPU:

Camera Mode: Screenshot 2024-03-07 104338.png
    back to 2d Mode (still there but less frequent): Screenshot 2024-03-07 104516.png
    Note: The Faerun Map with Hexes is huge: 9800 x 6798 300 dpi Beyond 4K dimensions.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder

Blog Entries

You have two FX layers on top of a 100 megapixel map. Turn off the Cloud and Adjust Colors layers and you should see the performance at an acceptable level.

Thread Information