DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Cypher SRD Development

Quote Originally Posted by Poe the Homunculus View Post
    I was just adding this to the cyphers I am coding last night! (I have add all cyphers up to those that start with "H" from both Numeneras, the Strange, and CRS)
    I am coding all the cyphers I can find into the items, and then hope to make the cyphers into a .mod file to share with everyone. I've got about all the Types and Descriptors into a Reference manual, need to start to tackle the Foci and powers soon...
    @Poe If you are coding things to be able to distribute, you can only include things that are actually in the CSRD. Numenera, The Strange, and Predation (among others) are specifically off limits (unless the content in the CSRD also happens to be in one of those books, but as of now I don't know of any). This is all spelled out in the CSOL, including that, if you violate it, they can prevent you from using the CSOL at all for your products. The good thing is that pretty much the entire CSR is in there and they added stuff from Godforsaken and The Stars Are Fire for fantasy and sci-fi settings back in Feb.

Obviously, you can code stuff for your own use. You just can't give it away, sell it, etc.

You can read the CSOL, the FAQ, and get a copy of the CSRD (it's a big, somewhat messy Word doc) at the CSOL Site.

I'm only pointing this out because I know how much you love MCG's stuff and I don't want you to accidentally end up outside their good graces.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post
    @Poe If you are coding things to be able to distribute, you can only include things that are actually in the CSRD. Numenera, The Strange, and Predation (among others) are specifically off limits (unless the content in the CSRD also happens to be in one of those books, but as of now I don't know of any). This is all spelled out in the CSOL, including that, if you violate it, they can prevent you from using the CSOL at all for your products. The good thing is that pretty much the entire CSR is in there and they added stuff from Godforsaken and The Stars Are Fire for fantasy and sci-fi settings back in Feb.

Yes, I am aware. The Numenera and Strange cyphers are in the CRS, just under different names and how they look. Other settings have specific cyphers to their setting that are not being coded.
    The document is over 800 pages. I can share the .mod with others for proof, and will be sharing with MCG to help promote FG. I've been in contact as a "pitch". But this is a slow process - over 800 pages will take time.
    I'm aware of the license and have the disclosures in the work.
    Last edited by Poe the Homunculus; August 1st, 2023 at 18:18.
    The beginning of any story is a happy accident; the end, a tragic fate.

Yes, I am aware. The Numenera and Strange cyphers are in the CRS, just under different names and how they look. Other settings have specific cyphers to their setting that are not being coded.
    The document is over 800 pages. I can share the .mod with others for proof, and will be sharing with MCG to help promote FG. I've been in contact as a "pitch". But this is a slow process - over 800 pages will take time.
    I'm aware of the license and have the disclosures in the work.
    Very nice. Sorry, you talk about Numenera cyphers and I get nervous.

Yeah, 800 pages is a lot. I've got a number of the abilities already coded if you've not already started those. I've been doing the ones my players need first so I've been working from the types/descriptors/foci/flavors they're using. I've also been working on a reference manual. I'm willing to help out in any case, in whatever way works best for the workflow you've got going.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post
    Very nice. Sorry, you talk about Numenera cyphers and I get nervous.

Yeah, 800 pages is a lot. I've got a number of the abilities already coded if you've not already started those. I've been doing the ones my players need first so I've been working from the types/descriptors/foci/flavors they're using. I've also been working on a reference manual. I'm willing to help out in any case, in whatever way works best for the workflow you've got going.
    That's great! I'm not sure where you are with the reference manual because I've been doing the same, but only added types and descriptors so far. We should divide work and share everything via .mods so we can get the long work done . Where are you at in the reference?
    I'll take all the cyphers text and add those chapters to any reference manual progress.

Hey folks! I love the discussion and look forward to seeing what comes of it, but I also moved the posts to their own thread to keep the announcements thread a bit cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Saagael View Post
    Hey folks! I love the discussion and look forward to seeing what comes of it, but I also moved the posts to their own thread to keep the announcements thread a bit cleaner.
    Thanks @Saagael!

That's great! I'm not sure where you are with the reference manual because I've been doing the same, but only added types and descriptors so far. We should divide work and share everything via .mods so we can get the long work done . Where are you at in the reference?
    I'll take all the cyphers text and add those chapters to any reference manual progress.
    I have Reference framework set up through the Foci but the text isn't complete through there by any means. For the Types, I have the text in for the genre examples, player intrusions, pools, and background connections with a rollable table. Each Tier is basically just a list of links to the abilities in the Abilities library. I have a page for each Descriptor with the text of the Descriptor and a link to it in the Descriptors library. Flavors are set up like the Types in that they're mostly just lists of links beyond the instructions. I've been basically taking a Tier, coding up the abilities for that tier and linking them in as I go. I figured that would get nearly all the abilities in, so when I got to the Abilities part of the RefMan it would be a pretty easy copy/paste/drag/drop.

The Descriptors are complete through "Hideous", including their coded entry in the Descriptors library. The main Descriptors page in the RefMan has links to their respective RefMan pages. That page has a link to the library entry.

I've been trying to keep the structure as similar to the bookmarks of the CSR pdf as much as I can (with obvious differences due to the injection of the GFS and TSAF content), though it might get unwieldy if we keep to that format for the abilities. I expect there will be some stylistic differences in our respective reference manuals as well; e.g., what gets bolded or italicized, how tables are laid out, etc.

I've attached some pics of the way I started laying things out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    I'm so bassic

I'm thinking that the Reference Manual module would need to be the "master" module because of the way links work. If we're linking to things in the library from the RefMan, then those need to actually live in the module where the RefMan is being developed.

Is that how you have it set up?
    --
    I'm so bassic

I have not gotten as far as you. I am still just loading text and have not created any links yet.
    But yes, I've been working on a RefMan looking the same way.

So how can we share or merge work, if we can at all?

I think we can do the libraries separately, then copy them into the RefMan module for linking. It'll be a bit tedious because we can't bulk copy, but still less time than just one person doing it.

When we get to the abilities, maybe do them one or two letters at a time?
    --
    I'm so bassic

I think that would be good, but not sure how to merge them. You're talking about creating links/character sheet coding and not the RM, right?

Thread Information