STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last

Love the extension!

The damage action on Special abilities is throwing an error to console for me when the button is clicked.
    Code:
    [4/15/2023 8:22:13 PM] [ERROR]  Script execution error: [string "CypherPlusPlus:..ager_action_damage_cpp.lua"]:40: bad argument #2 to 'format' (string expected, got nil)
    I haven't done much testing on it to see when it does and doesn't blow the error, but this is specifically for Mindslice.
    I have it set up as:

The "Stat Pool" field seems redundant with the "Stat" field. Is there a reason to have both?

I also have a request:
    Can "Initiative" be added as a roll type? This would be for abilities that affect initiative and have a point cost to activate, e.g., Danger Sense. Is there a different way to make that work?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    I'm so bassic

Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post
    Love the extension!

The damage action on Special abilities is throwing an error to console for me when the button is clicked.
    Code:
    [4/15/2023 8:22:13 PM] [ERROR]  Script execution error: [string "CypherPlusPlus:..ager_action_damage_cpp.lua"]:40: bad argument #2 to 'format' (string expected, got nil)
    I haven't done much testing on it to see when it does and doesn't blow the error, but this is specifically for Mindslice.
    I have it set up as:
    Thanks for the report. I actually had this fixed locally and forgot to update the Forge with the version I'm using, so that's on me. Version 1.0.3 should be live and fixes this.

The "Stat Pool" field seems redundant with the "Stat" field. Is there a reason to have both?
    Stat Pool is what stat you'll deal damage to, which only matters for attacking PCs currently. But may in the future also effect certain enemy effects. For example, enemies might have a higher level vs attacks that target a specific stat, regardless of what stat was used to use the ability. A spell caster might use a gust of wind spell with Intellect, but target's Might, and thus enemies with level bonuses vs Might attacks would get that bonus.

The Stat field is what stat you are using to activate the ability. This determines what stat pool is used to pay activation and effort costs. The tooltips for those elements both describe that. Though if the text is insufficiently clear I would be happy to adjust the verbiage.

The core Cypher rules don't really make this distinction as far as I can tell, but it is kind of necessary to enable some of the stuff I want to do in the future. I'm currently holding off for reasons explained below.

I also have a request:
    Can "Initiative" be added as a roll type? This would be for abilities that affect initiative and have a point cost to activate, e.g., Danger Sense. Is there a different way to make that work?
    That's totally doable, I plan on doing work around Initiative in the future anyways. Currently I'm holding off on adding new features because Moon Wizard mentioned in Discord that I might get a chance to contribute my work in CPP directly to the Cypher ruleset. I'm waiting to see if that's going to be a thing before I keep hacking away at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Saagael View Post
    Thanks for the report. I actually had this fixed locally and forgot to update the Forge with the version I'm using, so that's on me. Version 1.0.3 should be live and fixes this.
    Excellent! Updating now.

Stat Pool is what stat you'll deal damage to, which only matters for attacking PCs currently. But may in the future also effect certain enemy effects. For example, enemies might have a higher level vs attacks that target a specific stat, regardless of what stat was used to use the ability. A spell caster might use a gust of wind spell with Intellect, but target's Might, and thus enemies with level bonuses vs Might attacks would get that bonus.

The Stat field is what stat you are using to activate the ability. This determines what stat pool is used to pay activation and effort costs. The tooltips for those elements both describe that. Though if the text is insufficiently clear I would be happy to adjust the verbiage.

The core Cypher rules don't really make this distinction as far as I can tell, but it is kind of necessary to enable some of the stuff I want to do in the future. I'm currently holding off for reasons explained below.
    Couldn't you just use the cost source for the "which stat are you using" part? (I see now that I wasn't using the Cost section and had an attack set up, which isn't how Mindslice works. )

That's totally doable, I plan on doing work around Initiative in the future anyways. Currently I'm holding off on adding new features because Moon Wizard mentioned in Discord that I might get a chance to contribute my work in CPP directly to the Cypher ruleset. I'm waiting to see if that's going to be a thing before I keep hacking away at this.
    This is fantastic news! Darrenan has done yeoman's work making Moon's original attempt at least workable, but I really love how your extension works from "the Cypher mindset" of reducing the target number.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Excellent! Updating now.
    Couldn't you just use the cost source for the "which stat are you using" part? (I see now that I wasn't using the Cost section and had an attack set up, which isn't how Mindslice works. )
    I could, but for maximum flexibility I chose not to. I only just started GMing this system a month ago so I'm not knowledgeable about all of the things the ruleset should be able to do, so I opted for to allow for the most amount of variations possible.

Hey, got another bug for you. Me and my whole group have lost all our ability text. In fact, all our abilities just have empty boxes for "Type" and a blank box. If we disable Cypher ++ the normal options and the text that we had entered before reappeared, but the rest is blank and we can't enter anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraOkami View Post
    Hey, got another bug for you. Me and my whole group have lost all our ability text. In fact, all our abilities just have empty boxes for "Type" and a blank box. If we disable Cypher ++ the normal options and the text that we had entered before reappeared, but the rest is blank and we can't enter anything new.
    This was a weird one. I also saw this, but only with some abilities. I re-uploaded a new build (still v1.0.3) that should fix this. One unfortunate side effect I had was that opening abilities was sometimes throwing errors about a database type mismatch. If that happens unfortunately I think the only solution is to delete and re-create the abilities. I'm still trying to figure out why the DB got munged.

This was a weird one. I also saw this, but only with some abilities. I re-uploaded a new build (still v1.0.3) that should fix this. One unfortunate side effect I had was that opening abilities was sometimes throwing errors about a database type mismatch. If that happens unfortunately I think the only solution is to delete and re-create the abilities. I'm still trying to figure out why the DB got munged.
    We actually couldnt enter anything new. Maybe we need to make new sheets? Though that'd be a huge pain. When i tried to make a new ability it was just the two boxes and no options to input cost or roll type or anything, and any text i entered just vanished into the ether.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraOkami View Post
    We actually couldnt enter anything new. Maybe we need to make new sheets? Though that'd be a huge pain. When i tried to make a new ability it was just the two boxes and no options to input cost or roll type or anything, and any text i entered just vanished into the ether.
    It sounds like maybe you didn't get the updated version. Just to rule this out I made some tweaks and uploaded version 1.0.4. See if you can update and get that version. I've also seen issues lately where items on the Forge don't download updates like they should. If it doesn't update, delete the CypherPlusPlus.ext file in the extensions folder and update again to get the latest.

Once you get v1.0.4, let me know how that works. I got it fixed in my campaign, so I hope it'll be fixed for yours.

I could, but for maximum flexibility I chose not to. I only just started GMing this system a month ago so I'm not knowledgeable about all of the things the ruleset should be able to do, so I opted for to allow for the most amount of variations possible.
    Reasonable, and completely valid. It turns out I was just entering the Overwatch ability and it pretty much requires the way you have it set up. The ability is 1 Int to activate, but it's a ranged attack so any effort would pull from the Speed pool.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Thread Information