Starfinder Playlist

Selling Fantasy Grounds?

From a legal standpoint, am I allowed to sell my copies of Fantasy Grounds? I purchased 1 DM and 4 player licenses a last year and have only been able to run 1 game. I love the program and would like the opportunity to use it. However, I am currently gaming with a group that is interested in Virtual Tabletop gaming, but we are a group of mixed users (PC and Mac). I have looked at Battlegrounds, but would prefer to recover my loss on Fantasy Grounds before making another purchase. Any suggestions? Thanks.

From the End User License Agreement (EULA) of Fantasy Grounds II:

LICENSE GRANT. SmiteWorks, Ltd. grants you a license to use one copy of the version of this SOFTWARE on any one system for as many licenses as you purchase. "You" means the company, entity or individual whose funds are used to pay the license fee. "Use" means storing, loading, installing, executing or displaying the SOFTWARE. You may not modify the SOFTWARE or disable any licensing or control features of the SOFTWARE except as an intended part of the SOFTWARE's programming features. This license is not transferable to another organization. You may transfer a license to another individual once if the software has not been used on any system, and you are the original license holder as defined above. You may transfer the license to another system for your personal use as long as the SOFTWARE is not used or installed on multiple systems.

Thus at the initial purchase, if another person is using his/her funds to get the license (as a part of a bundle, e.g.), the license can be transferred to him/her. If the license has once been installed on that person's computer, then it is not permissible to sell the license further. As said, the license can be transferred to another individual once if the software has not been used on any system. Thus, if you have used the said licenses, selling them is illegal.

Note that depending on jurisdiction, you may be able to sell it regardless of what the EULA says, due to concepts such as the first-sale doctrine. Doing so while at the same time keeping a copy for yourself would be a violation of copyright, however.

I am not a lawyer, though, so don't take my word for it

Thread Information