FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 10 of 10 First ... 8910
    I've never managed to get this extension to work. I can add an NPC to a PC sheet in the cohort part of the notes tab, that works and the PC can roll stuff from the NPC sheet. However this only works if the NPC faction is set to friendly and in any case the PC cannot move the NPC token unless I also turn on the shared party vision option - but at that point I may as well do without the extension. I am using the PFRPG ruleset, and yes I have other extensions so it could be a conflict. But before I go on extension hunting, could anyone tell me what are the precise steps to give a PC control of an NPC, and in what order? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by snupy View Post
    I've never managed to get this extension to work. I can add an NPC to a PC sheet in the cohort part of the notes tab, that works and the PC can roll stuff from the NPC sheet. However this only works if the NPC faction is set to friendly and in any case the PC cannot move the NPC token unless I also turn on the shared party vision option - but at that point I may as well do without the extension. I am using the PFRPG ruleset, and yes I have other extensions so it could be a conflict. But before I go on extension hunting, could anyone tell me what are the precise steps to give a PC control of an NPC, and in what order? Thanks!
    Actually, for NPC's controlled by a player (COHORTS), I have reverted to creating a full character in FG and then putting it on the combat tracker but not on the Party Sheet....that way it gets no loot and no xp but can be assigned to the player..
    I am using Cohorts and companions to add Monster Summoning NPC's to the Spellcasters that summon. (Saves time from having to dig them up from NPC Menu).
    In which case as a DM, I drag the NPC from the character sheet to the combat tracker, and from Combat tracker to Map, and that seems to do the trick.
    NPC shows up as friendly automatically and the Player can move and control the NPC from the link in their character sheet.
    I just tested the functionality and it works as above.
    Last edited by Whitsend; April 8th, 2024 at 22:36.

Quote Originally Posted by snupy View Post
    As Whitsend indicated, the preferred method is as he indicated. In PFRPG2 and PRRGP rulesets, I have also successfully added a creature to the combat tracker and then to the cohorts window but that requires you to set the NPC to friendly, so the preferred method is the better way to go. Which ruleset are you using BTW? There are variations in the code to deal with differences in the character sheets for different rulesets so let me know and I can check it out to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DonE66 View Post
    As Whitsend indicated, the preferred method is as he indicated. In PFRPG2 and PRRGP rulesets, I have also successfully added a creature to the combat tracker and then to the cohorts window but that requires you to set the NPC to friendly, so the preferred method is the better way to go. Which ruleset are you using BTW? There are variations in the code to deal with differences in the character sheets for different rulesets so let me know and I can check it out to be sure.
    I am GM and also playing with PFRPG. My group also games in Amber, Call of Cthulhu and Shadowrun. But only use the cohort in PFRPG.
    Mainly using the Cohorts and Companions for frequently called up NPC's like summoned monsters.
    We were using it for Cohort NPC's but found that having a complete character sheet was easier when updating levels and handing off magic items.

Like others, I have always found that for Pf1, you must drag the npc on to the character sheet first. Then drag from there to the Combat Tracker, then from the CT to the map.
    Even with that, there are sometimes issues like hp resetting, if the npc is a familiar that levels up, for example. I think this can be avoided by redoing the entire process after the level up, but I'm not the GM for that game, so it's harder for me to experiment.

I am playing a 3.5 game and have been using C&C for some time. It has been one of the most useful extensions I've found. The instructions for the extension say (I know I read this somewhere) that a cohort NPC must be put onto the controlling player's sheet first, then moved from there to the combat tracker and, as with all CT occupants, placed on the map from the tracker, at which point the NPC becomes the player's to control in combat. It has always worked for me, both for hirelings/followers and for summoned creatures. Very well, actually. But keep in mind that any changes made to an NPC in the master list will not be adjusted on the cohort. You must replace the cohort or edit it as well. This means you can customize your player's NPC without making ALL of the same creatures super powered, too, because mods on the cohort are only to that NPC. The DM can create a copy of a modified NPC cohort back into the NPC list, too. I have not used C&C to give NPCs cohorts but I presume it works the same way - add to the controlling NPC first, then from there to the Combat Tracker, then to the map. Making an actual character can be a way to make a more detailed follower and I've done it, too, but monster NPCs are problematic that way. Much easier to just drag and drop the umber hulk the wizard successfully charmed onto your player's sheet, then onto the CT, then to the map. Rahr!

Thanks everyone for the replies! What I was missing is that you need to drag to the combat tracker the NPC link in the Cohorts part of the PC sheet, rather than the one in the NPC list, as I was doing. I thought both links pointed to the same thing, but I guess the one on the Cohort PC sheet actually creates a copy of the NPC. Works perfectly if I drag from the PC sheet.

Thread Information