DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by DarkChewie
    the blank slot to mark in Skill page is only for trainned or for skill focus too?
    That page isn't quite done. I was still puzzling out the Smiteworks code to make sure I understood it. I plan to have checkboxes for class skills, trained, and skill focus (or maybe just use misc for skill focus).

Been taking a break on ruleset writing to work up the modules. I have all of the basic rules, equipment, and creature (just one while I work everything out) put together. Not very visual so I haven't been posting screenies Now, it seems, I've got to go back and finish up the character sheet, npc sheet, and combat tracker so that everything links up. I'm amazed how far I've gotten though - it isn't all that tough to do.

So, question regarding legality. Obviously I can't distribute the modules because they contain word-for-word materials in the SWSE core rule book. What about the ruleset itself, though, if it contained no copyrighted/trademarked graphics and no automation for character generation, leveling, etc? SWSE isn't covered by OGL but would distributing freely this 'framework' for playing an SWSE game be verbotten? I hate to do all of this work and have keep it to myself.
    M

It's a toss-up; what you'd end up with is more or less a character sheet, and there are SW Revised character sheets all over the web, some very prominently posted (Mad Irishman and Ema). WotC and Lucas have never taken any action against these people, as far as I know. They have even made direct comments about them on their forums from time to time. As long as you only give the mechanics, but not how to play the game, you should be safe. At worst, you'll get a Cease and Desist notice, and have to take the material down. I KNOW that there would be a great number of people interested in your ruleset, and its very existence would sell more copies of both the SW:SE book and FG itself. WotC isn't dumb - they want to sell books, and any support materiels are a means to that end, which is why these things slip through the cracks.
    Last edited by Illrigger; July 27th, 2007 at 23:48.

Thanks. Yeah, I know it's all pretty grey at the margins - but I understand why they have to protect their interests.

I'm not sure about WotC, but SJG is very understanding about fan-produced products for its game systems. They're a little slow about getting things approved (so I understand) but, if I created a ruleset for GURPS, I think they would allow it to be distributed and possibly even put it on their E23 distribution site (I know they have done it with other tools anyway). This seems (without doing any investigation) less likely with WotC (especially with a product licensed from a third-party).

Maybe I'll PM one of their Wiz-Os to ask about possibility and procedure - some of the authors/editors frequent the SWRPG boards on the Wizards Community. Edit: though I'll probably wait until it's closer to finished and I'll have to remove any 'borrowed' images.

Gee that's a lot of parenthetical matter for one paragraph
    M
    Last edited by mearrin69; July 28th, 2007 at 00:46.

I'd shoot Ema or Mad Irishman an email as well, and see what interaction they have had with WotC.

Ah, yeah, not much progress lately. Had to take a break from it due to a vacation and a couple of intense weeks of work. I'm hoping to crack the books again this weekend to see if I can finish up the character sheet. Will post something when I've got it - hopefully soon!
    M

Hey, looks great! I started a similar project myself a few days ago. I did quite a bit of work on the character sheet and am just now getting around to making nice looking frames. I like what you've done (and might borrow some of your ideas!).

Cheers,
    Jeff

Status Check

Ran into the FG booth at Gencon and saw part 2 being displayed. I want to setup a SWSE game in the next few months and decided to see what was cooking with the locals. I love the screen shots. Great work. Is their any help that I can offer? Anyway to get a copy of what you have put together? With the Dawn od Defiance Campaign on the way I want to have the ability to run it online or even F2F but with the projector and this program.

Again, Great work!

@cbradshaw007:
    Hey. Check your PMs; I sent you a reply.
    M

Any chance of getting a copy of your Star Wars ruleset? I'd love to be able to play Star Wars over FGII but the current system don't support it. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Thread Information