STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorddamax
    I cant have my players download and install a module every time we play.
    It does not sound like you want to use 'common data'. Client data instead seems to be what you are shooting for.

Of course, that does not help with the fact that you have not been able to make your 'common data' file work.

Later.
    Ram

If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself. -- Confucius

Hmm.. I know I have in the past managed in doing what you're trying to by placing the file as 'common.xml' data and then force-loading the 'book' before the players connect.

Note that it has to be set up and forced before the players connect, once they connect, the changes you make to the permissions will not work, is what I've found.

But I would definitely say common.xml + force-load is what you're looking for, you must be missing a step somewhere along the way.

As far as the 'export' thing, I think that's only done when you want a 'campaign' or 'adventure' type of module. I don't think you need to do it in this case either.

I think some screenshots would definitely help out.

Edit -> Here is the thread where I had (what seems to be) the same problem as you. It includes a step-by-step of everything I did. Maybe it'll help.
    Last edited by Tropico; September 1st, 2007 at 14:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza0Tyr
    It does not sound like you want to use 'common data'. Client data instead seems to be what you are shooting for.

Of course, that does not help with the fact that you have not been able to make your 'common data' file work.

Later.
    Client data MUST be downloaded manually. Absolutely NOT what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropico
    Hmm.. I know I have in the past managed in doing what you're trying to by placing the file as 'common.xml' data and then force-loading the 'book' before the players connect.

Note that it has to be set up and forced before the players connect, once they connect, the changes you make to the permissions will not work, is what I've found.

But I would definitely say common.xml + force-load is what you're looking for, you must be missing a step somewhere along the way.

As far as the 'export' thing, I think that's only done when you want a 'campaign' or 'adventure' type of module. I don't think you need to do it in this case either.

I think some screenshots would definitely help out.

Edit -> Here is the thread where I had (what seems to be) the same problem as you. It includes a step-by-step of everything I did. Maybe it'll help.
    Well like I said - its working now. Kinda. About 8-10 mins after a client connects he can view the module. I havent tried it over the internet, but on a LAN where I can move a 1 meg file in under 1 second, a 150k file is taking 8-10 minutes to update. Thats nuts.

Running another test now, this time at home on a wireless network instead of wired at work. Either way it's still faster than an internet connection.

Ok at home over a wireless connection it took 4 minutes for the book to appear. Next time I play online I'll see how long it takes over the net for 5 players connected.
    Last edited by Lorddamax; September 1st, 2007 at 16:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorddamax
    Client data MUST be downloaded manually. Absolutely NOT what I want.
    Right, but only the first time. The common data has to sent over the network each time according to Tero, which I thought was a concern of yours from the portion of your post I quoted. Either way, glad you are making progress.

Later.
    Ram

If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself. -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza0Tyr
    Right, but only the first time.
    Unless I am constantly updating the file. Every game session.

Even then, only the files that got changed will be uploaded, the rest will not be touched.
    What will take time is if you put new images in your ruleset everytime.
    Always keep it in perspective!

Would there be any problems with testing the behaviour of modules using 2 sessions of FG (one as host and one as client) on the same pc? or would it be better to tst with two pcs on the same network?

What if I fired up 2 or more client sessions? Would each client have a separate cached copy of the module data?
    Work Less, Game More!

I have done a fair amount of module testing by running several copies of FG2 on one machine. The only thing I can see is that it appears to transfer data much faster than normal (I think, effectively, everything is pre-loaded).

Hmm, I think I ran into a problem with user settings (hotkeys maybe) when I had 2 or more client sessions going at the same time. However, was many weeks ago and was working on a partially complete custom ruleset at the time so might have been a ruleset problem or I just confused myself
    Work Less, Game More!

Thread Information