Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

How do players see my modules? Module data types and distribution

There have been some questions posted related to distributing modules or getting module data to show on the clients. I'm writing this to clarify the various types of data that modules can contain.

There are three types of data, detailed below. Each module can contain all three data types, although it is most likely that they have just one, or sometimes two, types present. The type is defined using the checkboxes in the module export view (H for host data, S for common shared data and C for client data).

Some users might be interested in building modules directly from XML files. In this case, the type of data is determined by the naming of the XML file with the module data content. The names of the files are db.xml for host data, common.xml for shared data and client.xml for client data.

The types of data available (with examples of possible usage) are:
    • Host data: Host data in modules is only viewable by a user running in Gamemaster mode. The module file must be installed on the user's computer. A user running as a player who has a module with host data won't be able to see the host data content even if the module is locally installed.
      • Monster/magic item compendiums
      • Adventure module GM notes
    • Client data: Client data is viewable by any user, player or GM. The file must be locally installed. The GM does not need to have a module for a player to be able to use one (nor does the GM automatically see it in such a case), although the GM must allow/disallow the use of client side modules.
      • Spell compendiums
      • Rules reference/House rules
      • Supplements containing information usable by players such as feats or classes
    • Common data: Data that is passed to each player whenever the GM activates the module. Players can't activate the data. The players do not need to have the module file installed, although if they do and the data matches, the data does not need to be transferred over the network. Note that data such as house rules and player campaign information could technically be presented as either client or common data. The downside of common data is the requirement to transfer the data over the network, as well as the lack of player control.
      • House rules
      • Adventure module player information
      • Campaign information for players
    Unless a module contains common data, it must be distributed to each player you wish to have access to the (client) data in that module.
    Tero Parvinen
    Fantasy Grounds Guru

Thank you for the info Goblin-King. I noticed that the common data must be set to Force Load to actually make it transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre
    Thank you for the info Goblin-King. I noticed that the common data must be set to Force Load to actually make it transfer.
    I'll have to double check this then...

Are we correct to presume that common data will only be available when the players connect to the GM's machine?
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Well, I just wanted to report my latest findings.

It seems by changing the client.xml for my eqd20spells.mod file to common.xml seems to finally upload to the player (with any update I make on my side).

The file does need to be forced otherwise it won't work at all.

This makes me feel a lot better than having to send them the .mod file since the spells in this system aren't under the OGL.
    Question: How does an Assamite find herself between a 12ft murder machine and a high place?

Answer: When she's running away from a werewolf in Crinos and she has to jump onto a fire escape with the Phobia: High Places flaw

Is it possible to include both a common.xml file and a client.xml file in the same module? I can see possibilities for having a module available for sale where, if only the GM buys it, it works like a common module and is only available while the player is connected. However, you want the ability for a player to buy the module for access off-line. Can this be a single .mod file, or would it have to be split in to a GM version and a Player version?
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian
    Is it possible to include both a common.xml file and a client.xml file in the same module? I can see possibilities for having a module available for sale where, if only the GM buys it, it works like a common module and is only available while the player is connected. However, you want the ability for a player to buy the module for access off-line. Can this be a single .mod file, or would it have to be split in to a GM version and a Player version?
    I know using the /export command will yield different module types within the .mod file.

Probably the best way to tackle it is look at the information involved, then split it into logical parts to build modules from. I've done this for a few diff projects now and it works well. But I can't see why the way you propose couldn't work, it'd be worth checking into.
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

I was thinking modules for basic rules, rather than the campaign modules created by the /export command. The same information is useful to the GM and the player (for creating characters). So the player may want to purchase the Basic Rules module so that he can reference the material when creating local characters. Otherwise, if only the common module type is used, the player can only view the information when connected.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian
    I was thinking modules for basic rules, rather than the campaign modules created by the /export command. The same information is useful to the GM and the player (for creating characters). So the player may want to purchase the Basic Rules module so that he can reference the material when creating local characters. Otherwise, if only the common module type is used, the player can only view the information when connected.
    The best way I think to accomplish this would be using the client module for the "game info" that both sides require, db module for "GM only stuff", and common for commonly accessed tables by both sides which resides on the GM side only so that the player only has access during sessions. I can't see any reason why the player would only have the client.xml in their .mod file, while the gm could have all three in a single .mod file.

The only issue here would be IP information - which generally lends itself, at least for personal use sets, to the common.xml file. But if you have licence rights, then client would be a better way to go.

This is the basic layout I use for my modules that I've been working on.
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Ok I am trying to get a spellbook exported and it's driving me nuts.

The file is common.xml

When I use /export I get nothing useful.

Hmm. My cllient PC just suddenly popped up the module - but its not showing an icon. And it took a LONG time for it to appear. The file is about 200k - however I'm testing this on 2 PCs on the same lan.

I shut down the client, restarted it, and now the module is not appearing again.

I'll try and post some screenshots lateron. Driving me batty. I cant have my players download and install a module every time we play.

Hmm on a spellbook like module I would have expected you to make it by hand not by using the /export command.

Thread Information