5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    I think this answers the question of why did Wotc didnt renew the contract for licensing third parties to create datasets with their content.

They want to move into this market and I hope that fact does not hurt FG.

As long as FG can provide D&D playing service we will have a much cheaper option to whatever services they have in mind, that is our only weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by devinnight
    call me antagonistic, but if WOTC wanted to get into the game I think there app would be just as good as FG at launch... now, I think it won't be as good a deal if you have to pay to use it and are limited to certain times.

If they decide to make an app all they have to do is look at all the apps out there including this one, take notes on what works and what doesn't work, buy a few copies and reverse engineer out the parts they like and make their own app. (I know it's not that easy)

That is if they have been paying attention and really plan on doing this. They already have a huge market base, a large community of people that would pay for the use of their material, artists, writers, etc...
    They could of course still screw it up, but I think they probably decided to get serious about it and have thier own team workin on it.

A lot of the work has already been done by other companies all they need to do is throw money and some talent at it and wham instant residual income.

I'll stick with FG's openesss and free playing.
    All that makes sense. I think a lot (maybe the whole deal) will depend on the quality of the applications they put out. If the character generator is very good and includes all the expansion and splat books people will be more inclined to pay. If the digital gaming table is something more than just a vitual die roller with chat people will be more inclined to pay.

The success really depends on how well they pull it off. If they incorporated the character builder into the program, and you used it when you leveled up, and had access to all the material online, that would be pretty slick.

If they really wanted to take over they could build the VGT to include such games as Heroscape (an introduction to mini wargaming, comes with a lot of great terrain) their own mini-centric games and even their board games.

Having a verstile and slick program would get a lot of people to enlist into virtual gaming.

I think FG would still do very well considering that you aren't limited by WOTC, and that the developers here listen more than the large corporation would. Just my opinion of course.

-D

Quote Originally Posted by devinnight
    The success really depends on how well they pull it off. If they incorporated the character builder into the program, and you used it when you leveled up, and had access to all the material online, that would be pretty slick.
    To the contrary, I admire Fantasy Grounds for it's openness. Too many calculations and you start to watch the game play in front of you, witting on the sidelines. I enjoy the fact that I can enter "Anything" into the class property and FG doesn't yell at me for being retarded.

I do find a few things about FG annoying and would love to see improvements. Mostly in the map's area and the control the GM has over the players. GMs should be able to 'give' players maps and drawings, which the players can pull up when they want to. There's no need to force player's views on current maps to be stationed where the GM last Updated the picture. That's what fog of war is for.

The licensing would be a huge difference in my mind...if WoTC adventures/books were simultaneously being made available in digital format and ready to go for a virtual gaming table then I think they would have a very compelling offering in the D&D market.

WoTC does a lot of things rather poorly in my not so humble opinion but what they do well...they do very well. By virtue of having more resources, more money, more expertise than most game companies, they're pretty good at setting expectations and meeting deadlines.

I have enjoyed playing with FG, but would jump at the opportunity to get on board with a bigger company thats a bit more adept at turning out product and has no licensing issues.

Price? Honestly, I don't care...I have money to spend on my hobby and not enough time to enjoy them. I'm not going to spend what little time I do have complaining about a monthly if the product really does deliver.

while WoTC have an advantage in owning a lotta content, let the best program win like competition dictates. That 3 times per month just better be an idea that will get shot down when implemented.
    ---Dedeko

Contact me?? Please please please contact me by xfire:
    "Dedeko" is my user name, my nickname is Meat Shield

And WoTC's track record for making quality software, 'big company and more resources' and all, is not good.

But, time will tell. If its decent, the other information provided is worthwhile and it doesn't cost a lot, I'd sign up. Nothing says you can only use one VT at a time!

rv

I have to agree with richvalle, but it should be noted that WotC never made any software they simply hired a developer or licenesed rights to developers - still as a producer they apparently are very poor with software. In the past they have shown no ability to ensure a quality product comes out.

I am keeping an open mind. If what comes out is usefull and works well then I would be willing to use it. However, from their track record, I would expect an ill born child at launch. One of the joys of such an online project is that over time mis-steps and mistakes can be corrected and you might well end up with a situation like e-Tools which was non functional on release but after several patches became worth while.

One nice thing is that >I< won't have to be the one to test it. With boards like ENWorld someone will sign up and I'll hear all about the good and bad. Then I can make an informed (well, as informed as I can based on others opinions) decision.

rv

*grin* You gotta love enworld.

Thread Information