5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Port Forwarding - Only Works on One Computer in Household

I recently got some help from some great folks here and was able to get my Surface, and home router, set up for Fantasy Grounds. My wife will be playing on her PC but her connection test results in a failure. I attempted to hard-line her in to the same router I'm connected to but it's still coming up as a failure and she's unable to join my game via the external ID or alias.

I added Fantasy Grounds as an app allowed through her firewall as well but it doesn't seem to help the issue.

Any thoughts on where we might be going wrong?

Blog Entries
    Port Forwarding is exactly that.
    It directs all that traffic to one specific place.
    You cantdirect that traffic to 2 different places.

Please take note of where you have to go to run the Connection Test.
    You must go to Create New Campaign or Load Campaign.
    These are both GM activities.

Are you the GM or is your Wife the GM?
    You Port Forward to the GM computer.

Only the GM needs port forwarding and a successful connection test. Players don’t need that at all.

Additionally, for a player connecting to the GM on the same network use the GMs Internal IP address, not the external address nor the alias.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    You can't direct that traffic to 2 different places.
    Fixed it for you Damned.

I'm the GM and I've set up the router to Point Forward to my computer but I still cannot get her into my game. I've set up the session, given her the alias, and she's still unable to connect. I've allowed Fantasy Grounds through her firewall but I'm stumped on how to move forward.

Blog Entries
    If she is on the same network as you she needs to connect to your LAN (Internal) IP address.
    Your router wont let a connection go out and come back in to another computer on the network.

I think I understand what you're saying. We're both hard-lined into the router, so we're on the same connection. When I try to join game on her computer, it comes back as "Cannot Connect to Host: Check Your Internet Settings".

Blog Entries
    On your computer - after you choose Load Campaign and before you hit start it will tell you what your Internal IP Address is.
    Your wife should connect to that IP address instead of the Alias.

That was it. That's the trick. I appreciate the help. Learned a bit more about Networking in the process. Many thanks!

The whole thing is bullshit. There is no excuse in today's time that a router should not be able to figure out that a connection is to the local network and accommodate rather than denying the connection. This is typical head-up-the-arse programmer behavior. Not FG's fault -- just programmer / designer insanity. Not that I'm emotional about it or anything like that....

Thread Information