5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Audio application with URL Association? (Not Syrinscape)

Does anyone know of a audio application that accepts commands via url that works in Windows 10 (linux/mac would be a plus also)?

I've grown very frustrated with Syrinscape and want to just use my local files. I'll write my own extension to deal with it but the only way FG (that I know of) will do something like this is via a URL so...

VLC looks promising but I've been having trouble getting VLC Desktop to associate with the "vlc://" url. Right now all I've been able to do is get the "Windows Store" version to and it's ... not going to be used.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Try VLC Media Player - its a multi-platform app, so it should work acoss OS's, and I know that it takes URLs (in Windows, anyway) - ie if you set the file association on Windows to play avi's, mp3's, etc, to VLC then it works great

Just for my edification: what's been frustrating you about Syrinscape (I've got a couple myself, BTW)?
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Try VLC Media Player - its a multi-platform app, so it should work acoss OS's, and I know that it takes URLs (in Windows, anyway) - ie if you set the file association on Windows to play avi's, mp3's, etc, to VLC then it works great

Just for my edification: what's been frustrating you about Syrinscape (I've got a couple myself, BTW)?
    Does VLC support playing multiple sounds at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by st4lk3r87 View Post
    Does VLC support playing multiple sounds at the same time?
    I believe so; it might open multiple instances of itself to do so, but I know I've had (at least) to songs/videos going at once (I was trying to do a comparison between two audio/video streams of (supposedly) the same thing)
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Jut use file://<complete path to file> and windows will launch whatever application is associated (registered) to open files with that file extension on your computer.

Lots of info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post409629 The second part of that post deals with the file:// URI scheme.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yeah, it was my first go-to. I like it a lot but as I said having issues getting the vlc:// url to work at all. The only way to get it to work is install the store version, not the desktop version. The windows store version is seriously gimped so not an option. I can certainly throw file:////C:\somefile.wav at it and it does play them but the functionality is going to be very limited using it like that. I'd prefer to be able to add file, play, pause/etc. Can't do that will a file://, tho vlc:// should work.

The sound source quality is really low. The sound quality isn't bad but what they use for sounds is just very amateur at times. I can find much better sound bites from NWN from a decade+ ago (which I long ago extracted for my home games).

The search is almost unusable. They mix up the persistent sounds and one shot sounds in a search. It makes it almost impossible to quickly find anything. If I don't prep for every sound during my game it's not even worth trying to find something on the fly.

Can't play my own local files.

edit: Can't believe I forgot this but the lack of a option to set the output sound device!!! You have to reconfigure your default sound to what you want it to use, boot it up, then reset everything. Gah!

What I really want is a "one shot" sound board and a "ambient" sound board tool. Syrinescape merges them both into one thing and it "works" but ... just not how I'd like it.

I can do better locally with VLC and just organized directories (and explorer file search) right now. That's my plan if I can figure out the vlc:// URL issue.

I believe so; it might open multiple instances of itself to do so, but I know I've had (at least) to songs/videos going at once (I was trying to do a comparison between two audio/video streams of (supposedly) the same thing)
    It does if you allow multiple copies of it to be running. That's how I mixed a few ambient sounds together.
    Last edited by celestian; December 6th, 2018 at 21:29.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Yeah, it was my first go-to. I like it a lot but as I said having issues getting the vlc:// url to work at all. The only way to get it to work is install the store version, not the desktop version. The windows store version is seriously gimped so not an option. I can certainly throw file:////C:\somefile.wav at it and it does play them but the functionality is going to be very limited using it like that. I'd prefer to be able to add file, play, pause/etc. Can't do that will a file://, tho vlc:// should work.

The sound source quality is really low. The sound quality isn't bad but what they use for sounds is just very amateur at times. I can find much better sound bites from NWN from a decade+ ago (which I long ago extracted for my home games).

The search is almost unusable. They mix up the persistent sounds and one shot sounds in a search. It makes it almost impossible to quickly find anything. If I don't prep for every sound during my game it's not even worth trying to find something on the fly.

Can't play my own local files.

edit: Can't believe I forgot this but the lack of a option to set the output sound device!!! You have to reconfigure your default sound to what you want it to use, boot it up, then reset everything. Gah!

What I really want is a "one shot" sound board and a "ambient" sound board tool. Syrinescape merges them both into one thing and it "works" but ... just not how I'd like it.

I can do better locally with VLC and just organized directories (and explorer file search) right now. That's my plan if I can figure out the vlc:// URL issue.

It does if you allow multiple copies of it to be running. That's how I mixed a few ambient sounds together.
    Just for the record, I've solved a lot of the Search issues, etc, (not the default sound output) in my DOM_SoundLink_Library Module (available from the GM's Guild). I actually put up the new Edition (December 2018) just yesterday, BTW. As far as the default sound output, yes, its a pain, but again, I've solved that (for myself) by the judicious use of VoiceMeter - now I simply click one of a number of user-defined settings buttons and - *poof* - I've got sound going to/from whatever combination of devices I need. I find it so useful that I run *all* my sound apps thru it: games, Skype, TeamSpeak, Discord, VLC, Syrinscape, Windows Default, Kodi - everything. Happy to help anyone set things up if they want.

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Blog Entries
    There used to be a sound / soundscape application called "Softrope" I stumbled across years ago. I don't think it solves what you want, and I know the dev dropped it years ago, but... maybe if you can find it it would be worth 30 minutes of your time to take a look at.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I've solved that (for myself) by the judicious use of VoiceMeter - now I simply click one of a number of user-defined settings buttons and - *poof* - I've got sound going to/from whatever combination of devices I need.

Cheers
    I've used Voicemeeter myself for a couple years but unaware of the user-defined setting buttons. I'll have to dig into that. Voicemeeter is a must for discord/ambient/sounds and OBS.
    ---

Yeah I have a soft rope, it says so right here on my character sheet 50ft rope

And yes this actually happened at a table in Ireland.

Thread Information