DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Need to Reinstall - Dont want to lose anything!

Hi All,

I have 64-bit Windows 10 but it seems like I must have installed FG x86 version instead of x64 version, not realizing x86 was actually the 32-bit version. Now I'm getting all kinds of running out of memory errors. I think I need to uninstall and reinstall from Steam and just want to make sure I don't lose access to modules I've bought, characters I've made and stuff like that. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Starky

Alternatively, does anyone know if there is a setting in the game, where I can just switch it to 64 bit without reinstalling? Someone I know said to check if there is a 'compatibility mode' in settings. Just not at home right now.

The Steam version is exactly the same as the one you've installed.

The experimental 64-bit version was provided via the FG update process for a short time, but there were serious issues with image masking, so it is not recommended to use for anything other than testing - don't use the x64 version for actual play.

If you're running out of memory then there are various things you can do:
    1) Reduce the amount of tokens you have in your \tokens\host and \tokens\shared directories.
    2) Reduce the number of modules you have open.
    3) If you're adding your own maps and images, keep these below 2048x2048 pixels. The biggest memory hog is images.

Memory use is currently worse for players than the GM - as the player client loads all images. There are improvements to this currently in the test v3.3.7 version. Are you a player or the GM when you experience memory issues?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi Trenloe,

Thanks for the reply. I am a player. At the end of our session last night, I deleted every token from my token library. Not sure if that was wise but dont know how to decide which to keep and which to remove. Now I get a few error messages about tokens missing when I load core books but it definitely helped with memory. I was able to load maps again and it stopped crashing. I've also let my DM know to only load what is needed. Thought I'd reinstall the 64-bit version too, but looks like that is not available at this time.

Thanks,

Starky
    Last edited by Starky; December 5th, 2018 at 16:30.

Whilst memory issues are most apparent on the client side the solutions to the problem lie on the Host (DM) side. It is your DM that will need to do what Trenloe suggests, not you. Before getting worked up about it though check how much memory FG is using when connected to your game. If it is above or around 3.2Gb (assuming 64bit OS) then memory is the issue. Once your DM has cleaned up his campaign then you (and all other players) should nuke your cache before rejoining (nuke button is top right of the join screen).

Whilst playing decide if you really need all the modules that the DM has shared open. For example do you need the PHB open when playing the game or only when you need to level up.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Also, what ruleset are you using? If it's Starfinder, make sure the GM is now just sharing the new player specific core module - not the whole core rules. The old core rules was using a lot of memory on the player side.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

We're playing D&D 5e with all the extra books - PHB, XGTE, UA etc. I also own all those extra books, don't know if that matters. I will let my DM know. Thanks.
    Last edited by Starky; December 5th, 2018 at 17:30.

I will. Just hard to know what I'll need to refer to or use. Like some spells/feats/backgrounds/items and so on I take from different books. It's too bad it can't handle it, rather inconvenient, but I guess I'll just load and unload them as needed. Thanks.

Thread Information