DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    To be honest when it did happen it was so helpful to have FG so I could see where everything was and what was moving where when they might have a decision like go left or righg, etc. It would have been harder on a typical battleship or paper map but masked tokens make it a lot easier. The thing to calculate is the range of sound, in some areas it will carry further than others. Like a fungal cave might absorb quite a bit of the sound as opposed to a broken down outdoor castle. The other thing I took into account was that it wasn't a known alarm so the defenders didn't know exactly where to go which helped the PCs since it kept the defenders from specifically converging on their location.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    To be honest when it did happen it was so helpful to have FG so I could see where everything was and what was moving where when they might have a decision like go left or righg, etc.
    The one challenge I have doing this in FG is I have to find all the encounters and add them to the CT. It's not always obvious from the pins which areas have encounters and which don't. In Roll20 (don't get me wrong -- I love FG, and I don't expect it to work the same as Roll20, nor vice versa -- Roll20 is the only other frame of reference I have), I would already see all tokens on the entire map, as they are placed on an GM layer, unseen to the players. So I would have a bird's eye view of the entire battle area (all rooms, etc.), and could quickly start moving tokens based on how I thought they would react.

In FG, unless I'm missing something, I don't have that bird's eye view. I've either: a) memorized all the NPCs and locations; and/or b) noted where all the NPCs are prior to the session; or c) quickly click through each story entry for each area (either before the session, or during), find the encounters, and add them to the CT).

I was looking to see how others handle it, as someone has typically come up with an answer to any challenges a newbie like me is coming across. I appreciate all the above -- I'll give them a try!

So, here's a screenshot and description of how *I* do it. There may be other (better) ways.

Referring to the below screenshot:
    1. I have my player map masked and pinned. I put all story entries on the player map this way so I dont have to keep switching to the DM map. Players cant see the pins or interact with them unless they are shared. I click the pin and...
    2. Opens the story entry. I have added the encounter prominently to all story entries that have an encounter.
    3. The encounter entry itself, in the Story entry. I drag this to..
    4. the Combat Tracker. The encounter gets added to the CT. Note that I would only do this when (in your scenario) I think the mobs are nearing the edge of the mask.
    5. I also open the encounter (from 3) and drag the tokens (from 5) to wherever I want them on the player map. They start hidden so I dont have to put them behind the mask, but I usually do.

Now they are ready to enter the scene on the turn in which I need them, and minimal time was used hunting anything down. Click a pin, drag the encounter to CT, drag the icons to map, repeat.
    Hope this helps! Anyone else ump in if there is an easier way!

WARNING: this screenshot is a spoiler for Lost Mine of Phandelver!
    FantasyGrounds_2018-12-01_20-55-30.jpg
    Last edited by iotech; December 2nd, 2018 at 04:15. Reason: Spoiler
    Check out my FG theme - The Coming of Night

FG Ultimate License
    D&D5e-Pathfinder-Savage Worlds

[Deleted, double post]
    Last edited by iotech; December 2nd, 2018 at 04:13. Reason: Oops, double post.

FG Ultimate License

Iotech I totally dig your theme!

BrettM when the player fired off the thundershock I used the circle tool to figure out what rooms would hear it immediately. In the circle I quickly checked each pin for encounter data then added it to the tracker. Since I also have a habit of reading the anticipated segment of a dungeon before the session begins I also had a pretty good idea of what was in the various rooms. Still I've gotten pretty good at just clicking the pin and quickly scrolling to look for encounter or parcel data. It goes even faster when it's a custom dungeon as I tend to put link stuff at the top.

It is not so convenient when I'm running free from games but my players are used to a bit of extra real-time overhead in that sort of game.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    Iotech I totally dig your theme!

BrettM when the player fired off the thundershock I used the circle tool to figure out what rooms would hear it immediately. In the circle I quickly checked each pin for encounter data then added it to the tracker. Since I also have a habit of reading the anticipated segment of a dungeon before the session begins I also had a pretty good idea of what was in the various rooms. Still I've gotten pretty good at just clicking the pin and quickly scrolling to look for encounter or parcel data. It goes even faster when it's a custom dungeon as I tend to put link stuff at the top.

It is not so convenient when I'm running free from games but my players are used to a bit of extra real-time overhead in that sort of game.
    esmdev - You can download my theme via this thread

FG Ultimate License

I put down in most cases the pin for the story description, and a pin for the encounter (as #5 in the picture from iotech) directly on the map. This way it‘s faster to directly add the encounter to the combat tracker, with the small downside to have 2 pins a room sometimes..

Personally, I hate extra items in the CT.

In this case I would place a single token for each wandering encounter on the map that is not linked to the CT. They would show the location of the wandering encounter. Add mask-sensitive visibility and you're all set.

Note: I have not tested this, but it would be what I would try.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Thanks all. I considered the additional pin idea. The fact that all pins are the same adds a slight inconvenience, but workable.

Three of Swords - I’m trying to avoid a long CT as well, and try to only have creatures in direct combat on the CT. I’ve played around with the token idea, but find them so washed out when hidden it’s hard to see.

Here’s what I’ve considered, given these answers have gotten me thinking (thanks!)...

• open the Encounters list, assuming the encounters are Named descriptively for the area (e.g., Crumbling Castle - Area 9 - Bugbears), try to follow from there;

• go pen-and-paper, and keep track that way, adding to CT when they “encounter” the party;

• during my prep, create a note/story item linking all the encounters, and with quick description of where they are, and have that open during the game to decide when those encounters show up, and from there drag them onto the CT

I think I like the last one best, and may give it a go.

The great thing about FG is it allows different ways of doing things, so different users/GMs can use whatever works for them.

Thanks for the ideas and brainstorming. Keep it coming if anyone else thinks of a different idea ��.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    Three of Swords - I’m trying to avoid a long CT as well, and try to only have creatures in direct combat on the CT. I’ve played around with the token idea, but find them so washed out when hidden it’s hard to see.
    After I posted my idea, I decided to test it a little. I find that using mask-sensitive doesn't wash them out like when you just make them invisible. That said, if the token is moving through areas that the PCs have 'uncovered' already, then yes, it presents a problem. But yeah, I can see why you might not want to use it.

Yet another reason to have customizable pin colors!
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Thread Information