5E Character Create Playlist

Witch Bolt as a effect coding? Not working for me.

I am trying to automate the effect of a witch bolt spell(5e) that should last for 1 min and apply automatically for the duration 1d12 DMG or Dexterity Save (H)alf vs the DC of the caster proficiency (8+INT bonus+lvl Prof). I put 14 in the example below, not sure how to dynamically generate DC that based on the character.. but that is a minor point, would be nice touch though to have that automated too.

I thought this would be a snap, as it turns out its not well documented anywhere how to do this, I am currently trying to just add this as a new Effect. with the following coding:
    Under Effects:Custom
    Witch Bolted; [DMG: 1d12 fire] [SAVEVS: Dexterity 14(H)]

there is also the option can be clicked on for: one roll, all rolls, one action, apply each once.. not sure there.
    but it does nothing except pops up in dialog window on the creature effected.. Does this work? or am I going to have to do this manually?(that would suck)

Maybe there is an easier way I am totally missing?

Thanks.

Are you editing the Witch Bolt spell? I'm not exactly sure what your aim is. All you need to do is drag the spell into the characters action tab and the effects will be set up for you. As it stands in the PHB Witch bolt is a ranged attack spell and on a hit does 1d12 lightning damage and you can apply the damage again in subsequent rounds using your action. There's no saving throw involved.

If you are amending the spell to include a saving throw then you can right click over the spell line (once you have dragged it into the actions tab) select Add Action and then Add Cast. This will create a new line with a small magnifying glass beside it. Click that to open the cast dialog, click 'Type' in the save section until it reads Dex and you are done. If you want half damage on a save click the Damage button under ON Save until it reads Half on Success.

Also the wording of the spell is such that the damage does not apply automatically every turn; you have to take an action to apply it. You can have the damage apply each round if you want using the DMGO effect (DMGO: 1d12, lightning).

Here's a link to some videos on how to create effects and here is the link to the Wiki if you prefer reading.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; November 22nd, 2018 at 19:23.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Yes, I screwed up the spell, been too busy to post. Thanks for the information, and the link is very useful.

Thread Information