DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    I'm fairly new to FG (about a month now) and I've been playing with a number of people that are new and the things that come up consistently as problematic are
    1. Targeting an opponent (I know that there are multiple ways to do this, but for some reason everyone seems to struggle with throughout the entirety of their 1st session and sometimes into their second)
    2. How to attack, do damage, cast a spell This one is a bit challenging because it's not intuitive to click on the verbiage and sometimes multiple parts of the verbiage to get it to roll and it has to be explained usually more than once or twice during the first session and refreshed in the second once or twice.
    3. How to roll a skill check- while this one is slightly more intuitive, the die thats in the space is so small and not very recognizable in the standard skin that it get's overlooked even when a player is looking for it and again game play has to stop while someone describes what they are looking for.
    I myself had these problems even after watching multiple videos on how to do combat in FG. I'm not quite sure if this was user error or if the program is a bit glitchy in target selection but I felt like I wanted to pull my hair out because the concept seemed simple enough, but the implementation just wasn't.
    In general the first session with new players is extremely frustrating and makes getting into the story very difficult but by the second session things flow much smoother and it feels like that's when you really get to start playing D&D.
    I love FG and I was super excited to switch based on the videos (thank god for them, because it lets you see the real power of the program) but my initial experiences actually playing were much more challenging than I had originally thought they'd be. I learn something new every time I attend a class, join a game or work on creating a mod. This community is amazing and so is the software, hope this helps someone see the pitfalls for new players.

1) Always make sure that the PCs and NPCs are placed on the Combat Tracket First and then dragged from the Combat Tracker to the Map. Targeting is then easily achieved by CTRL+ left clicking the token on the map or on the Combat Tracker.
    2) Not entirely sure what you mean here. Only the DM will normally see the highlights on the text on an NPC which allows for attacks, etc to be rolled directly from an NPC sheet. For the players all attacks, damage and spellcasting is done from the actions tab of the character sheet. For the DM all attacks, damage, saves etc are done from the Combat Tracker.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information